Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

excel doesn't recognize text/number column from smartsheet

Options
Herb Vega
Herb Vega
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I've linked an Excel worksheet to a Smartsheet report it works fine but one column that has a numbers and text (p.i. 4551A) is imported blank (no data). When is a regular number imports it just fine.

Does anybody have any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks,

Herb

Comments

• Gwyneth C
    Gwyneth C ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/11/17
    Options

Hi Herb,

If I'm understanding correctly, you're importing an Excel sheet into Smartsheet and having trouble importing the data from a column that contains mixed text and numbers.

Under regular circumstances, this should work just fine—so there's something going on here that's causing issues (maybe some bit of formatting that occurs within the source Excel sheet). I recommend that you reach out to our support team via our Contact Form and include the Excel file in your support request.

If I haven't interpreted your scenario correctly, please provide more detail. Other community members may be able to help as well if you provide detail about:

1. How you are linking Excel and Smartsheet (are you importing to Smartsheet from Excel as I guessed, or is it something else)?

2. Whether you are using a Smartsheet Report (more info about what that is here) or simply using that term to mean something more general. (A report in Smartsheet is something specific, so that detail can help with troubleshooting.)

Thanks!

Gwyneth Casazza

Smartsheet Customer Experience Manager

• Herb Vega
    Options

Gwyneth,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have a link from Excel to a Smartsheet Report. When I get the data from Smartsheet is where I have the problem. There is a column in Smartsheet that is text/numeric and when there is a mix of letters and numbers it returns a blank cell. Number are OK.

Herb

This discussion has been closed.