Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Recurring task with a checkbox and reset?

Jef Forward
Jef Forward ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hello All - 

We currently use a smartsheet pipeline to track our clients progression through our service delivery.   This serves us very well.  

One area that we need help with is scheduling and tracking phone conversations.  I have looked into coordinating a crm to schedule and call, but I am not thrilled the tracking capabilities, and the lack of transparency with the team.  I would like this info showing up directly on the pipeline.

I envision a 3 column scheme.  (1) a date column entitled "next call date" (2) a checkbox column (3) a call count column.  

Is there a formula that will allow a date column to be reset to a "new date in the future" based on the completion of the checkbox?, and after 1 day the check box will uncheck itself? allowing for the recurring task?  Last (3), can I count how many time this happens?  

I am sure they may be better ways to do this....like maybe just a 2 column approach with a contact next date, and a manual dropdown count list for the number of times called.

We will be using a report to pull this unique info out to our sales team.

My purpose is to be able to track quotas we will be setting for ourselves. Any help is greatly appreciated.....Thank you!

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Recurring tasks is not a talent of Smartsheet. I would suggest looking at a potential integration with something like Zapier to maybe automate the unchecking of the textbox. There is no method for completing what you are wanting to do "automatically" J. Craig Williams is a pro at Zapier integrations but you have to know and be aware that integrating Zapier costs extra.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Mike.

Here's an example of something similar to what you want:

http://ronin-global.com/2016/12/11/smartsheet-fixed-date-upon-completion/

I've done other things of this nature, unchecking/checking boxes is pretty straight forward and you don't need to be pro to do it. 

As Mike mentions, Zapier has an extra cost ($20/month for the minimum license you need to use Smartsheet) -- which is like adding another user to your Smartsheet account. You are limited to how many active automations  (called "Zaps") you can have and how many successful runs per month you can have. This means (to me) that Zapier is used for small numbers of sheets. If you have 25 project sheets that all need the same functionality ... then other alternatives (or more $$ to Zapier) are the choices.

I've looked at many of the automation tools out there. Zapier is by far my favorite due to cost and functionality. I would love to be able to afford Azuqua, but I (nor any of my customers) do not see the value there. I have one customer that outsourced 'tasks to be automated' to a kid in the Philippines for less than Azuqua would cost her per month. I digress.

Craig

• Jef Forward
    Jef Forward ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for this!  I will read through and try this out.  I already have a zapier account, so hopefully this will be easy.  I will reach out of I hit any bumps.  Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.