Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

show the latest date from 3 selected columns

Debbie Sin
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I would like to show the latest date among 3 selected columns in a new cell, Is there any formula to make it happen?

Comments

• Hi Debbie,

I’m not exactly sure what you’re looking for, but I’d recommend looking at the MAX() function, which will show the latest date from a range of cells/columns: https://help.smartsheet.com/function/max

• Thanks

let say, I have three columns showing different dates that we received the approval from client due to revised orders as below

1st approval received on 09/28/2017.

2nd approval received on 11/13/2017

3rd approval received on 12//15/2017

I will create another column to show the final approval date which should be the latest one, 12/15/2017.  Or sometimes, we only received one approval date, which the other two will be blank.  If I use the Max(), will they able to pick the latest date even the other two approval date is blank.

Debbie 

• Robert S.
    Robert S. Employee

Hello Debbie,

Yes the MAX() function can be used to make this happen. Here's a sample of how this formula could be written:

=MAX([1st Approval]@row:[3rd Approval]@row)

This formula however is assuming that the columns are contiguous. If there are other columns between the different approval columns, the formula can be changed to this:

=MAX([1st Approval]@row, [2nd Approval]@row, [3rd Approval]@row)

This is also assuming that the dates to be referenced are in the same row as where you're placing this formula. If this isn't the case, the sections that say @row can be changed to the row number for where these dates are located.

This discussion has been closed.