Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Non-Task Project information on project sheet

Jamison
Jamison ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Does anyone have any best practices for including general project info on the project sheet? It would almost be nice to have a static freeform space to put this info in without having to use the valuable rows at the top of the sheet. We could then query on that information as well when pulling project info for rollups.

Purpose, Sponsor, Status, Geography, Client Name, related projects, etc.

Comments

• Jamison
    Jamison ✭✭✭✭✭

In Excel I would just merge the cells in the left most column, that way I would get my info in there without spreading out the task info (differnet row heights) all willy-nilly.

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is no way to Merge cells in smartsheet because it is not a spreadsheet, it is a datbase table and each row is a field.

You can add additional information in theform of:

Discussions

Attachments

Hyperlinks to other documents,locations.

Not exactly what you ask for but I believe better than Excel overall.

• Chris Winfield
    Chris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭

For our project sheets we have the following:

- A title row setting out some basic info that it's always useful to have sight of

- A set of summary/governance information about each project that is indented (and so can be hidden away) underneath the title row. This includes links to risk registers, description of the project, etc.

Our master project list provides a link to each project sheet and also to some of these project info cells.

Chris

• Chris - are you able to post (or send) a screen shot of a sample project sheet as you described above (with Title row and indented summary/governance info, etc.). I am doing something similar.

Thank you,

Suzanne

• Chris Winfield
    Chris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Suzanne,

This is an old thread!

Since my ealire comment we have updated our approach to include more information on our central project register and less on our individual project sheets. I have attached a copy of our current project template sheet for info - this acts as a guide for our many staff who are not familiar with projects. They are free to delete or change the details, but they can get a sense of what a brief project plan looks like.

All the best,

Chris

Project template.PNG

• Chris - also, is there a more current thread on this topic?

Thanks again!

Suzanne

This discussion has been closed.