Formula to have status "ball" change color for blank cell

I would like to have the status "ball" color change to red if the column cell is blank and green if the column cell has a date entered in it.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Tags:

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try out these steps: 

1. Create a new column or identify one that has the RYG balls
    2. Make sure your column type is set to RYG balls by right-clicking on the header > Column Properties and choose Symbols > Status > RYG
    3. Then use the following formula in that column... *Note - the formula is set up for row 24. Change the number 24 to the row you desire. 

=IF(ISBLANK([Column Name]24),"Red", IF(ISDATE([Column Name]24, "Green", "")
  • Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try adding the following formula to your RYG ball symbol column. The formula is set up to check row 24. Adjust the row number and the column name for your own row and column.

=IF(ISBLANK([Column Name]24), "Red", IF(ISDATE([Column Name]24), "Green"))

• Hi! I'm fairly new to SmartSheet and formulas and could use some help. In one column I have "Progress" at the top column and am using the red, yellow, green balls. Next to it I have "Current Status" with some dropdown options (1 - Not Started 2 - In Progress 3 - On Hold 4 - Cancelled 5 - Completed). I want to make it so that if someone chooses the red ball, the current status will move to "1 - Not Started" and if someone chooses the green ball the current status will move to "5 - Completed." Can you help me with that formula?

• JamesB
    JamesB ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@alexandra.richardson

In your Current Status Column you would need the following formula:

=if([Progress]@row = "Red", "1 - Not Started", if([Progress]@row = "Green", "5 - Completed",""),"")

if either condition is false, you will have a blank in your progress cell.

• Thank you, James! I copied this into a current status cell and it said "incorrect argument set" ?

• JamesB
    JamesB ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/03/23

@alexandra.richardson My apologies, I added in an extra set of quotations. The formula below should work.

=IF(Progress@row = "Red", "1 - Not Started", IF(Progress@row = "Green", "5 - Completed"))

If you need color for the other 3 statuses, you will need to nest in additional if statements.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!