Chart Axis Customization

Jim Schaffhausen
Jim Schaffhausen ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi There-

I am trying to show a bar chart with 2 data points comparing $ amount of actual to budget. The Chart is not Starting at $0 it is starting at $800K so the data looks weird. 

Can I choose the scale - say my 2 data points are $800K and $1.1M - could I choose to start the series at $0 and have it go to $1.5M in $500K increments?

Thanks-

Jim

Capture - SS Chart.JPG

Answers

• Sasan
    Sasan Employee

Jim,

In order to optimize the chart, the minimum value for the scale is auto-set to nearest rounded number to your lowest value ($800,000).  This helps in optimizing your chart widget surface area to give you more real-estate within your dashboard for other widgets. And we will also consider your feature enhancement request in ability to start the scale at $0 and specify increments in future releases.

Thanks

Sasan

• Jim Schaffhausen
    Jim Schaffhausen ✭✭✭✭

Hi Sasan-

I do believe this is an important feature. I really can't use this chart visual because it does not represent the story of being 30% over budget accurately with the Scale as is. 

Thanks-

Jim

• Sasan
    Sasan Employee

Jim,

Completely understood.

Sasan

• I agree with Jim. I have several charts that are not usable because they visually mis-communicate the data.

• Sasan
    Sasan Employee
    All,

We just update the charts widget to always include zero (0) in the scale going forward. To include zero on previously created charts, edit the chart, go to either Horizontal/Vertical Axis tab (depending on your chart type, bar/column) and uncheck "Scale to data values". Hope this helps.

Thanks

Sasan
  • steven.reed14881
    steven.reed14881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not being able to adjust/configure the y axis also results in weird data such as this chart to reflect % complete for workstreams. If all users report at 0% the y axis range goes from 200% to -200% (first image)...when i would prefer it show 0 to 100%. Then with some non-zero values, the second image shows the range at 0% to 60%...again, it should show 0-100%. Need more flexibility.

Steve

y axis issue 1.JPG

y axis issue 2.JPG

• I am using a stacked bar chart for percentages. What I need is a 100% Stacked Bar Chart. The range automatically goes to 120% and I can not figure out how to edit the max. Are we going to get a 100% Stacked Bar Chart in the future, or at least the ability to edit the range on an axis?

• Also, when the chart is flipped to be vertical, the axis changes away from $ and I cannot edit the axis.

• Richard Heath
    Richard Heath ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Any ideas how to stop Smartsheet from doubling up values? It appears to struggle with Scale.

The Chart is being fed from a Table that has only two values, which both equal 2.

If I shrink the graph it displays correctly (below) - if I stretch it (as above) is provides incorrect numbering.

• Agree with the need to control our values on bar charts. I am trying to show progress to goals.

• Totally agree - this chart isnt usable:

• I too would like more control over how the values on the X or Y axis are incremented. Visually, I need people to be able to compare charts for two different years. One year has data points that go to value 5; the other has data points that go to value 12. I want both charts to go from 0 - 15. But one goes from 0 to 5. This visually overstates the results when comparing the two charts.