COUNTIF or IF Statement

Options

I am looking to add date columns that are based on a criteria in another cell.  I can use the COUNTIF statement to add the dates but when I place an criteria in place I get an error.  

=COUNTIF([Due Date]:[Due Date], <=TODAY())

This works to count my dates that are less then or equal today but I need it also to filter out if the [Complete Date] ISBLANK to determine correct cell count.  I tried the below form.  but get error out.  

=IF(ISBLANK([Complete Date]:[Complete Date]), COUNTIF([Due Date]:[Due Date], <=TODAY()), "0")

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.  

Tags:

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Richard,

Try this:

=COUNTIFS([Completion Date]:[Completion Date], ISBLANK(@cell), [Due Date]:[Due Date], <=TODAY())

This will count all cells that both have a blank completion date and have a due date of greater than or equal to the current date. 

Let me know if that's not what you're looking for and I'll be happy to further advise.

• Richard@2018
    Options

Thank you very much this worked perfectly.  

• EduTechDiva
    EduTechDiva ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi, Shaine,

Using your example above, I'm wondering why this is coming up unparseable for me. I'm looking to count in a Summary Field all rows where Student Tasks Completed (date) is either blank or before today (actually I need it to calc and count fields that have dates on or before 7 days before today):

=COUNTIFS([Student Tasks Completed]:[Student Tasks Completed], ISBLANK(@cell)), ([Student Tasks Completed]:[Student Tasks Completed], < TODAY())

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!