Help with SUMIF function with data from another sheet

Options
Tom Holder
edited 06/30/23 in Formulas and Functions

I used this formula to set the range, the criteria and then the sum range but it is returning zero. The range is a different column than the sum range. Any advice?

=SUMIF({SSS Range 3}, >"12/31/2017", {SSS Range 3})

Tags:

Comments

• Chris McKay
    Chris McKay ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Tom,

Even though you've stated the range and sum range are in different columns, it looks like your formula is set to query and sum the same {SSS Range 3} range (which ain't gonna work). Are they definitely different columns/cells?

• Tom Holder
    Options

yes I tried many times and it still has the same range reference in the formula although the linked arrow(s) in the source sheet are different plus if I click to edit the formula it shows a grey box around the correct data. It could be that I can use 2 different columns?

• Chris McKay
    Chris McKay ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK, I think I understand what's happening here. I've experienced some oddities with the cross-sheet references refusing to let go of previously specified ranges.

To fix:

1. I'd clear the references and formulas from the target sheet (only those referencing the sources sheet)
    2. save the target sheet
    3. check the source sheet for any stubborn references and clear if necessary
    4. Go back into the target sheet and recreate, making sure to give both ranges unique names

Your formula should be 

=SUMIF({The range you want to sum}, "the criteria you want to test", {the range you want to test the criteria against})

I'd also suggest avoiding the >"12/31/2017" criteria (can be unpredictable) and possibly look to validate the current year against the against the query range?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!