Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How can I insert multiple rows of external data without overwriting the rows below?

Sam Mohyee
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Oftentimes I'll copy rows from excel, email or my browser intending to insert those rows between used rows in my smartsheet. Although Smartsheet recognizes that I am pasting multiple rows, by default it will overwrite existing rows on the sheet rather than inserting new ones.

This means that if I want to paste in between existing rows, I have to first insert the exact number of new blank rows I need, then paste, which is a pain. Alternatively, for large lists, I have to scroll down to the bottom of the sheet where the blank rows are, paste, then move those rows back up to the desired location. This is also a pain.

Is there a way for me to insert external data into smartsheet without it overwriting existing rows?

Tags:

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 10/08/15

As you have seen, when you paste data into a sheet, it will paste data into the existing rows. If you want the data added to new rows, you will need to insert new rows. As a quicker way to add rows, highlight the number of rows you want to add, right click and select Insert X Rows Above. The "X" will be the number of rows you highlighted. For example, if you highlight 10 rows, you can add 10 blank rows above. 

• This is really annoying for me and really increases the likelihood of copying over something important. Is it on the development list? We're having to archive our sheets weekly because of things like this (well, also because of the lack of version control within Smartsheet).

This discussion has been closed.