Opening a template by selecting a check box or status field

Hello all,

I am very new to Smartsheet so please excuse the question.  I know how to do the following in excel but haven't found a way to do it in Smartsheet. 

I have a list of courses that belong to certain programs.  I would like the program chairs to select the courses they would like for my team to work on by selecting a checkbox field for the course.  I have already created a project management tracker sheet and have made it into a template.  Once the program chair selects the course they would like my team to work on I would like to assign it to someone and then automatically launch the templated project tracker.  Additionally, I would love it if the course ID, course Name, Instructor Name and the resource name from my team would flow over to the project tracker from the sheet that the program chair selects the course.  

Any thoughts on the following:

1. How to add a check box or status field that when selected automatically launches the course project tracker template?

2. How to launch a template to include information contained in other sheets?  I track nearly 60 projects at a time and don't want to manually update all 60 sheets with the Course Information, Instructor Information and Resource Information if it is already found in the other smartsheet. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Comments