New Data Not Automatically Added to Charts

Shawn R
Shawn R
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

How do I (if possible) get my charts to automatically update with new information that's been added to the sheet?

I currently have a sheet that has a scoring system based on a 0-100 percentage. When I created the chart I selected all the columns I wanted and included all 5 line entries. It charts just the way I want it to, however when someone uses the web form to enter new data, that new data is excluded from the chart and I have to manually edit the chart and select the new data.

Is there an option for the charts to automatically include new lines of data and update? Or does this have to be done manually everytime?

Tags:

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Shawn,

You'll have to include the whole column(s) with the data that you want in the chart.

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant / Get Done

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Shawn R
    Shawn R
    edited 05/10/18

I believe I am doing that. Here you can see I have the columns selected.

However when new lines of data are entered the chart does not change. When I go to edit data, it only includes the lines that were already present when the chart was created.

Is there a special way I need to select the columns?

EDIT: Screenshots uploaded. Apparently I cannot add them into the post itself

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

• Not really sure why my responses on here are disappearing, perhaps its because I am trying to attach images. I'll do my best to explain whats happening.

I have a sheet that summarizes scores of different audits. What we are looking to do is create charts that give us an idea of how we are trending on the performance of the audits, so multiple line entries are needed in order to compare past to present data.

When I go to the sights page and click add widget, I add a chart. It then prompts me to select a sheet. So I select my summary sheet. Then it forces to to highlight a block of data to report on. I cannot just merely select columns. So I select all of the data.

Then when I edit the charts I click the select columns option and select the two columns I want to report on. At this point, everything is the way I want. However, when new entries are submitted to the sheet the chart excludes those entries and has the highlighted data that I originally selected.

What I am hoping to accomplish is to just select the columns I want to report on so when new data is submitted the chart can update.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Shawn,

If I'm not mistaken I think that you need to use a report to be able to select the columns. Another way to do it is to use cell linking or cross sheet formulas.

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Yup, that works. Thanks for the help!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

Best,

Andrée