Populating a Dropdown List

Options
2»

Comments

• Mary_A
    Mary_A ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/08/20
    Options

After posting information I entered a support ticket on ddupate.com and got a call from @JeremiahHorstick . Found out a few things. You receive a single mapping for free if you use ddupdate.com -- additional mappings are NOT free. There are users with 100s of mapping without performance hits.

When logging in, the ddupate.com seems to require a Google Account. I couldn't find a way to not use a Google account. Might be one...but I only had so much time to test around.

Once in the app, per @JeremiahHorstick you need to authenticate on behalf a user who has access to the sheets you want to map. I found also the user has to be licensed. You give the user access to the source sheet as Viewer and the destination sheet as Admin.

The authenticate step goes pretty fast --- so if you want to be sure to authenticate with your special user, log out of Smartsheet before you authenticate with ddupdate. If you make sure to do this, the ddupate app will prompt you for a user:

If you don't log out first you can identify the user your authenticating with in the dialog anyway:

If you don't want to use this user, Sign Out and enter another.

After you have authenticated, you can find the details of the authentication in the ddupdate.com under Manage Subscription

Mapping the source and destination columns is pretty much as depicted in the video above. Worked like a charm. Nice.

If you want to see the ddupdate.com application in your Smartsheet.

1. Log in as the user you used to authenticate with via ddupdate.
    2. Choose Apps & Integrations from the user profile dropdown.

You can revoke the application access here from Smartsheet.

Disclaimer

I only talked to Jeremiah for a few minutes. Mistakes or misrepresentations in the above content entirely my own. This is a nice addition and solves a real need. Great job on his team's part.

• JeremiahHorstick
    JeremiahHorstick ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you @Mary_A!

Excellent Notes!

I have one correction. Using a google account to log into DDUpdate.com is an option. You can use any email.

From the login prompt select "Sign up for a new account":

Use any email to sign up for an account:

• Mary_A
    Mary_A ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@JeremiahHorstick Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Thanks for the clarification.

Putting on my interaction designer hat, I found the placement of the Sign In with Google before the SIGN UP option in that second dialog misleading. Because a user has already chosen at that dialog point to create a new account to use on ddupate, the google sign in button is simply confusing. Because the interaction was unclear at that point--- I just didn't continue that route and test that dialog fully.

• LRO
    LRO ✭✭
    Options

@JeremiahHorstick

Do you, or can you, provide any kind of documentation that can be used to provide to our IT Security providers and CIO that would relieve their fears about your API and security? I think we need something like this. I'm currently using your API for several sheets, and I love it, it's easy and its affordable but I'm getting push back on the security portion.

lisa

• JeremiahHorstick
    JeremiahHorstick ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@LRO Thanks for reaching out.

Regarding security, secret data & resiliency for the enterprise we offer fully reviewed solutions hosted in the platform of your choice (i.e. Azure, AWS, G Cloud) or dedicated instances of the application per your specifications. We find that the enterprise generally prefers to host within their cloud domain and specify compliance.

Regarding Data Security:

The web application employs simple REST and OAuth 2 protocols where all data is transmitted securely over HTTPS. No user content is stored, only transmitted to and from Smartsheet. We also offer SSO with Azure AD/Office 365, Google, Facebook, SAML, Local Active Directory, or Client Certificates (PKI).

User data is encrypted and not shared. You can view our privacy policy at our website.

Regarding Resiliency:

Multiple instances of our applications are hosted within AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, and locally providing consistent up-time.

The core application has boundless possibilities of additional features implemented upon request.

-J

• Pam Ferguson
    Pam Ferguson Overachievers Alumni
    Options

One way that you can do this is to utilize Data Shuttle to download the data to a sheet and then upload it to another.