Populating a Dropdown List

HankBento
HankBento
edited 12/09/19 in API & Developers

Hi, is it possible to populate the contents of a dropdown list from another smartsheet?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Hank,

Unfortunately, there isn't.

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant / Get Done

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• As I look through the various answers to similar questions it appears that dynamic dropdown lists have been high priority for 3 years and still don't exist.  I am a consultant creating an implementation for a client who will need to maintain this on their own once I leave.  This is a major impediment for them.  I have worked hard to automate everything so that they don't have to become experts but this is going to be the piece that causes a problem when I leave.

Is there any chance it will be added in the next few months?

• Hi, this is high priority to us too!!!

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi to Paulo, Amyl  and Andre,

Just so you are aware, our API Development team have solved the issue of Dropdown Lists that need to populate many other sheets Automagically, we we launched this service on 17th September 2018. 

For those who wish to re sell this solution to their clients, there is a discussion to be had? Talk to me? 

Details here. We call it Smarter Dropdown List Manager https://www.smarterbusinessprocesses.com/smarter-dropdown-list-manager/

For those that actually need DYNAMIC dropdown Lists that apply multilevel Conditional Logic in a USER ENTRY FORM for action in Smartsheet, then we can do it this way...

https://www.smarterbusinessprocesses.com/dynamic-lists/

Happy to Discuss or Demo? 

Regards

RichardR 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

This might help!

Here is a workaround that gives you the possibility to use lists of information and choose from that list inside a sheet (doesn't work with mobile, only desktop)

I'm utilizing cell-linking for this workaround. The main sheet is linked to the dropdown/list sheet.

Please see the attached link/screenshot for more information.

Example of dropdown/list

I hope this can be helpful for you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Barry Bowles
    Barry Bowles ✭✭✭✭

I had the same request and found a solution outside of smartsheet - someone has developed an api specifically for this purpose which maintains a watch on your dynamic list and updated the drop-downs. Here's the link - it worked for me (no cost)

https://youtu.be/rv0M5dwwKuY

https://www.ddupdate.com/

• Can you explain how you did this? I am working on a project where I think I can use this to basically created a dependent list.

The part I am unsure of is how you set up the other sheet to be able to double click a cell and have it copy to the main sheet. However, if you explained the process in detail I'd appreciate it. Thank you for your time and help.

Sincerely,

Kyle

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Glad we got it working!

Best,

Andrée

• Were can I get I find this solution at no cost that worked for you?  I am unable to access www.ddupdate.com

• Vitaly R.
    Vitaly R. ✭✭✭

Hello Andrée,

I would also be very interested in understanding how to use this workaround for my purposes.

I have a sheet where a user defines the product name / type and additional info, I want the 2nd sheet to give only the option of choosing one of the defined products on sheet 1.

Thank you in advance,

Vitaly

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Vitaly,

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

• I'm actually considering Barry Bowles solution in the Youtube video above, but I'm concerned about any potential security risks associated with allowing their API to access my sheets. Is this a valid concern?

• I want to use this but restricting myself because of security concerns.

Does Smart sheet in anyway approve external APIs that can be securely used?

• Mary_A
    Mary_A ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/08/20

Traced ddupdate.com through WhoIs. That domain is registered to:

Registrant Organization: CORELOT
    Registrant State/Province: Virginia
    Registrant Country: US

If you go to corelot.com you find that the owner/founder of Corelot is Jeremiah Horstick. He is also the person who posted the video on Youtube above. @JeremiahHorstick is also a member of this community.

Jeremiah, maybe you can speak to the security of the DropDown solution. We are authenticating using Smartsheet. This seems to give the app admin perms to all our sheets --- so that does seem a security risk though admittedly the solution is free (? cheap) and the benefit real.

I attempted to find out if your code was open source and on github.com but that doesn't appear to be the case. Elegantly executed fix but security concern is real. There doesn't appear to be a means to revoke access once it is granted to the download updater.

Can a user revoke access to your application after authenticating? Will the authentication show up in the Apps & Integration section of Smartsheet?

• JeremiahHorstick
    JeremiahHorstick ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi! We use the Oauth2.0 protocol for authentication. Basically the gold standard for authentication.

Similar to any 3rd party app you use with Smartsheet you can easily revoke access within "Apps and Integrations"