Notifications not working?

Options
Andy.Mott
Andy.Mott ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi,

I have set up notifications on my Smartsheet for our Ordering Process. The notifications act as Order Confirmations to Customers to give them details of the Order being processed and Despatch details. 

Over the last couple of days, these notifications have stopped sending out. I have checked the settings of each notification and they appear to have not changed. 

Can someone help me with this, its put our company on the back foot now as we are having to do these manually rather than automatic

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hi Andy.Mott,

A few things to look at here:

1. Ensure that the email addresses are correct in the contact column you're using for your notifications. The best way to do this is to find a cell containing someone's contact that isn't receiving the notification emails and double-click on it, then compare it with the email address that you have in another system (like an outlook contacts list or address book).
    2. If people are reporting that they're not receiving your notifications, have them check their spam and junk folders, and work with their IT team to unblock these notifications from the client or server side. A good indication that email filtering/blocking is occurring is if one customer receives the notification but others don't.
    3. If Smartsheet it sending you or other notification rule creators an email stating that it can't send an email to a specific person—check your overall notification delivery settings on the sheet- and the account-levels.Details on checking this are available in the following help articles:
    4. If rules are becoming completely disabled (the sheet Owner and rule creator should receive an email telling them if a rule is disabled, and the rule will appear as disabled when looking at the Alerts & Actions window on the sheet), then it's possible that an important column was changed or removed. Check your sheet columns and make sure that the column types are the same (double-click a column header at the top to see its column type).

If the above doesn't work, then please reach out to our Support team to troubleshoot further.

• Andy.Mott
    Andy.Mott ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

Just a further update on this. I went through your list and none seemed to apply to the problem I was having. As a short term fix, I cloned the notifications and it seemed to work again.

However today, the notifications are not working again. I am not changing any preferences and settings inside Smartsheet. 

I will contact your support team on this

• calvarado
    Options

Andy I am having this exact same issue.  Was this resolved for you, if so can you share the fix?  If not, I will contact Support directly.

• EduTechDiva
    EduTechDiva ✭✭✭
    edited 11/07/18
    Options

I am having same issue. Tested just fine with two of my own addresses, one that is not tied to a smartsheet account. But now suddenly, as soon as we launch for high stakes project, they stop working. Aaaarrrrrrrgh! Please help. I've put my ticket in already—awaiting response.

alertsnotworking.png

fitsheetalerts.png

• Oby
    Oby ✭✭✭
    Options

I have a similar issue. I suspect it has to do with the fact that some of the emails aren't shared with the smartsheet even though I've set the settings to unrestricted and included notifications for changes I make. Please help!

• EduTechDiva
    EduTechDiva ✭✭✭
    Options

It was shared with me that it may have to do with the fact that some rule/action parameters rely on triggers that aren't activated until the sheet is actually opened. I can't say which of the various rule parameters are affected this way but I am waiting for Smartsheet to document that for its users soon.

• Oby
    Oby ✭✭✭
    Options

Wait, are they saying everyone notified would have to open the sheet or just any user. 

I'm definitely opening the sheet and all my research indicates that they allow emailing to 3rd parties now with the proper settings. 

I also have a ticket in & will update if I get some definitive answers.

• EduTechDiva
    EduTechDiva ✭✭✭
    Options

I had to have the sheet open for certain triggers to fire.

Support had since shown me which triggers to use instead that did not require this, and since then my alerts have been firing automatically just fine and as intended.