Value in same row, different column

Dan Engerer
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi. My ultimate goal is to list the next upcoming task in a project. I have found a way to find the date of said task by creating a new column and searching for the minimum due date of all tasks which are not yet checked "done" (this was a ridiculous undertaking in and of itself, but oh well). My next task is to return the name of said task.

If I could just get the value of the corresponding task name cell (which is in the same row as the date but a few column over, of course), then that would work. 

On a side note, I'm pretty dissapointed in the difficulty just to do things like find the next upcoming task in a project. It's a throwback to excel, and should absolutely be a built-in functionality within Smartsheet. I thought smartsheet was dedicated to project management? Why then does it require so many workarounds to do really basic things?

Anyways, If there's no easy solution to this particular issue, I'm going to go ahead and cancel my subscription. It's too hard to do basic things in Smartsheet, and complexity is the enemy of implementation.  If I have a hard time doing these things, imagine how my my managers will feel in the future.

So, let's see what happens. 

Comments