Hierarchy (Parent Child Automation)

EcoPartnering
EcoPartnering ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I have set up a very detailed opportunity pipeline.   The entire purpose of using SmartSheet was to automate the process so the data is accurate and less mistakes by the sales staff.  It seems to get the best reporting data,  I need to set up Hierarchies by sales stage  However, it seems the process is a manual to move an opportunity from one stage to the next and that is redundant.    Am I missing something?   Is there a way to automate ....when an opportunity changes stages, to have it automatically move to under the appropriate parent "sales stage" row?

:(

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately that is not currently something that can happen automatically.

The best "workaround" I have found for that is to use a dropdown for the stage it is in, then create a report for each stage to pull from the "Master Sheet". Then it wouldn't matter what order everything is in as long as the stage selection in the master sheet is correct. You would just look at the appropriate report. 

You could also have those reports sorted (typically by date since each report only shows what meets the criteria) and then displayed on a dashboard. You could edit the Interaction when building the dashboard so that clicking on a specific "Report Widget" would take you directly to that report.

I know... It's going way around Red Robin's Barn and still doesn't get you exactly what you want, but unfortunately that's about the best Smartsheet has for that as of right now.

You could also use the sheet sorting, but that again is not automated and would not work very well with hierarchies.

• Thank you so much for taking time to answer this question.    I really appreciate it :)   I am new to Smartsheet.  I love it but it amazes me that what I consider "simple" stuff people are looking for is is not available.   Then again, it has so many great features.   

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No worries. Always happy to help. One thing I have found is that there are a lot of seemingly simple things that Smartsheet cannot do because of programming challenges arising from other features. 

I have also found that some of it is in the works and others yet haven't really been brought up. I fill out a lot of product enhancement request forms. I'm sure you'll find plenty of griping here in the community about it, but I have always gotten positive feedback from Smartsheet. Here's a link to it if you want to detail out your idea:

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/739aa75f30ca43a8a22eb53e4da7d409?SFConfirm=DUWbnBgzV9YH91ecoKaAXefWungmq9ra