Removing Single Cells

Veronica GM
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I am looking to remove a single cell from a grid and have the cells underneath move up but I am only given the option to remove rows which disrupts formulas I have in place. Is this feature of removing single cells available?

Comments

• Hello Veronica,

There currently isn't a way to remove a single cell from a grid and have the other cells fill upward in its absence. 

One thing that you might try is to drag-fill up your formula from the cells below, then deleting the information in the bottommost cell (as the cell above it should contain the formula after the drag-fill)

More on drag-fill here: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2476171-create-and-edit-formulas-in-smartsheet#dragfill

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to picture why deleting the row would not work, or probably better how the data is structured that this would be useful.

A cell is defined by the column it is in -- the type and that name mean something, and by the row -- there may be one or a few cells that define the row, a name or project number or a task brief description, but everything on the row is linked by that commonality.

By wanting to shift things in this way, the column where the cell in question is located must, by inference NOT be tied to the other things on any particular row, as the link between them will be broken when shifted.

Unless...

Unless you are trying to do something like a multiple row record. But then, only parts of the cells would need to be shifted, which would open up a new can of worms.

Just curious.

Craig