Average of duration

07/31/18 Edited 12/09/19

Hi,

does anyone know if it is possible to calculate the average of data in a column displaying a duration? They are expressed as 3d, 5d, etc. and therefore it won't let me calculate the average as it doesn't seem to recognize them as numbers. 

Thanks,

Barbara

Popular Tags:

Comments

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/31/18

Hi Barbara,

Yes, it's possible, but you have to do the calculation in another cell/column.

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant @ Get Done

SMARTSHEET PARTNER & CONSULTANT / EXPERT

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• Paul NewcomePaul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are using dependencies in Gantt view, the parent rows will automatically provide a summary of your duration. Otherwise you will need to write a formula using a CHILDREN function in a parent row, parsing the letters from the numbers, figuring out your average, then putting numbers and letters back together again. It is very possible though. 

Paul,

You don't actually need to parse out the letters. It will work as is.

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

I've tried it before, and it would only average out the numbers. It didn't take into account weeks vs days. How did you get it to work, because now I'm curious...?

• Hey Andree, 

Could you elaborate? I am having trouble with this too. I have a sheet containing the length of all the projects in a portfolio. I would like to calculate the average of all of them. 

Thank you!

Hi Callie,

You could probably use the Duration feature in Project Settings for the Roll-up sheet.

Did it work?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, [email protected])

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

I thought the rollup of duration (with dependencies turned on) was a TOTAL time and not an average time?

edited 10/15/19

Haha!

Yes, of course, it is. I got confused and mixed it all up! indecision