Clone Column to another sheet

SteveSand
SteveSand
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I would like to clone one or more columns from one sheet to another, I mean the complete column, no matter how many rows contain data.

The columns in the other sheet should represent the data in the initial column.

How can this be realized?

Thank you.

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on exactly what you mean and how your data is set up.

Do you have two Sheets with the same information (or that's the goal)?

Do you have unique keys/IDs in your data?

How is new data added to the first Sheet? 

Is this a one time task or do you need to sync from first to second Sheet when new data is updated / added / deleted? 

Can changes be made to the second sheet?

This is one use case for what you imply is your goal:

http://ronin-global.com/2018/02/22/smartsheet-secure-your-sheets-with-x-sheet-references/

I hope this helps

Craig

• Craig,

thank you for your feedback.

The goal is the following:

I wish to clone one or more columns from the first sheet into a second sheet.

Yes, I need exactly the same data from the first sheet sync (updated / added / deleted), so when the data in the first sheet changes I always have the current data in the cloned columns in the second sheet. I would like to process further these data in the second sheet.

Actually my problem is that sumif does not work on the data and I have to make some process steps to get a report and I do not want to do this in the original sheet, as the data is used constantly by different persons.

Thank you

Stephan

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/10/18

Hi Stephan,

Depending on your set up it could also work with cell links.

More info: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/861579-cell-linking

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant @ Get Done

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Steve,

Andrée is right, cell linking is also a possible part of the solution. Cell linking is better used when the data locations are not very dynamic, that's why I ask about how new data is added and if it needs to be linked.

Based on your follow up response, there are more features to investigate for your solution:

1. more columns, hidden from Editors (who cannot unhide them). This suggestion is primarily triggered by your remark that "sumif does not work on the data". 

2. Reports - various user types (as your team defines them) or individuals could have their own reports for data entry. I encourage user to use Reports instead of editing Sheets directly, where feasible.

I hope this helps.

Craig