Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How can I reapply a sort (or filter) without having to re-enter it from scratch?

Options
2»

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Filters can be saved by giving them a name and you can also share them for other users to use.

Sorting is different.

A way round this is to create a report for each of the popular sorts that you require to work in, in the report have the columns you need (all if you want) and set the sort accordingly and save the report. Then create a Bookmark Folder in your browser called "sorted data" or something appropriate, then add the bookmarks for each of your reports to the folder and you will have a drop down of sorts.

Not ideal but works

• chasila
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion. Reports really don't work in this situation though. I need to be able to sort the data so it can be used, shared and linked. 

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Data in Reports can be used in very much the same way they can in the sheet.  The main things you cannot do are:

• Create Formula
    • Add New Rows
    • Create Hierarchies

Reports can be shared the same as Sheet.  They can also be shared by publishing them and sending the Link to the relevant people.

In many ways using reports as the day to day working methods brings the added safety of people screwing up your formula, messing in columns they are not required to be in etc.

A report is not just a report it is also a view of the actual Live Data, any changes done in reports is a change to the live data(Instantly).

Sorry if I appear to be preaching, but sometimes I do not think realise the great benefits reports can bring to your working environment.

• I have been following this thread closely.   I initially picked Smartsheet as my project management tool because of it's simplicity.   It was like Excel on steroids which is exactly what I wanted.  Minimal learning investment.  

I see the benefits of reports just fine,  however I don't have the time or inclination to learn/implement them.  I just want my main form to remember sorts.   

This discussion has been closed.