Cross sheet formulas with TODAY()

p_bureau
p_bureau
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi guys,

I have a master sheet with a "TODAY()" formula and some other cells related to TODAY(). And in an other sheet, I have references to this cells.

My question is : if noone opens the master sheet, will the formulas linked to the "=TODAY()" cell be up to date ?

Thanks !

Paul.

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My colleague Craig Williams has been working on a solution for this very issue and yes you are right, if no-one opens the sheet it wont update "Today" so there needs to be a workaround to achieve this which is easily set up. 

Ill ping Craig and ask him to explain! 

RchardR SBP 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

*****POOF and the devil appears*****

See this post

http://ronin-global.com/2017/03/15/forcing-today-refresh-in-smartsheet/

There's a paragraph there describing the issue pre-X-Sheet References.

Post X-Sheet References, I believe that, in theory, it should, as long as some source Sheet in the chain has been updated to force the destination Sheet to change, but my own testing has been mixed (inconclusive) and since I have another solution, I haven't pursued it to its ends.

And I have a solution, so don't need to rely on Smartsheet to do it for me. (I don't think they will resolve this in the short term but won't go into why I believe that here)

In addition, my current solution does not rely on Zapier and will be available to customers shortly. The first such tool, Smarter Dropdown List Manager, was announced earlier this month.

If you are interested in knowing more, contact Richard at Smarter Business Processes. 

Craig

• Thank you guys for the help ! It's a bit annoying that every sheet isn't updated at least daily...

I have put the TODAY() formula in a sheet that is used every day, and I will check if this spreads correctly to the other sheets.

Thanks again !

Paul.