Unannounced changes, new behavior, or am I being gaslighted?

J. Craig Williams
J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Several times over the past few weeks/months, I have noticed odd behavior when using Smartsheeet.

I won't go into them here, rather I have a specific instance.

Normal Behavior:

I have 3-5 browser tabs open to different Smartsheet objects that I am working with/on.

When I am done for the day, I do not put my computer to sleep. I just lock it.

When I start working the next day, I continue where I left off.

I do this most days. Sometimes I put the computer to sleep, sometimes I reboot, but this is typical behavior.

For the past two days:

When I start my day, all tabs (and all objects on those tabs) have refreshed to be the same object.

The Sheet/Report shown is the same across all tabs, the objects open are the same.

Since this has only happened twice, I suspect it was the last sheet I was using before stopping the previous night. 

This has occurred before, but not consecutively like the past two days. Those are related to Smartsheet pushing out a patch or other update. 

So:

Is that what is happening here? I am not so sure, since they would be occurring sometime after 10pm PDT.

I have not made any changes to my Smartsheet settings nor to my Chrome settings. I have only Smartsheet and Lucidchart enabled as extensions in Chrome. No other browser tab that I have open has not exhibited this behavior. The only one that might would be Lucidchart, and I only have had one tab open the past two days.

I have also been logged out of the Community and one Firefox, was logged out of Smartsheet, but both of those were only today, not yesterday.

If this is some sort of refresh going on behind the scenes, please be aware that is it noticed and has unintended consequences.

If this not some sort of refresh going on behind the scenes, but is instead a new feature, please be aware that it is undesirable (to me).

For the past two days, this has occurred sometime between 1:00am and 7:45am. Locking the computer does not reproduce it. Something happens.

If I am being gaslighted, please stop.

Craig

Comments

• Jason
    Jason Employee

"Is that what is happening here? I am not so sure, since they would be occurring sometime after 10pm PDT."

In short, yes. Your open tabs were updated to a new Smartsheet client version and when that happens the client will load the last loaded sheet/report/dashboard, so they all opened the same thing. I can't go into much more detail though, but I can confirm that this is not new functionality.

As for being logged out of the community I can't speak to that. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you Jason.

I was hoping that was the case as the other options are much less desirable.

Based on the increased frequency, I have suspicions on the changes occurring and respect your inability to discuss further. I appreciate you answering what you can.

Craig

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If I am being gaslighted, please stop.

But what would be the fun in stopping??? Hahahaha

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/28/18

Day 3 of this behavior. Can I expect this to continue until some distant announcement?

Craig

• Craig—

In terms of community: for security reasons, you're logged out after a period of inactivity.

Community also uses the Smartsheet API to authenticate you. As we make updates to the Smartsheet app, the API is updated as well.

I can't speak toward the specific period of inactivity or exactly when we perform our updates, but this may be what's signing you out of the community.

I typically get automatically signed out over the weekend and have to authenticate again.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/28/18

Sometimes I get logged out of the community after a change, sometimes not (today=not, yesterday=yes)

I do not usually need to log into the Community unless I clear cookies.

If there was a "View" feature, this would not be an issue. 

The behavior I describe here:

http://ronin-global.com/2018/08/01/smartsheet-tip-release-items-from-memory-chrome/

has also changed. I can not reliably close a tab and reopen it a few minutes later and have it restore to the last closed condition. It is remembering the last refresh (from last night) not the one I just created by closing my window.

Correction: It is different, but may be more closely related to the last closed than I thought. But it may not be reflective of the save/update from last night.

Craig

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I also experience a weekend removal of cookies. I have to sign in again every Monday morning.