Apply a rule to multiple sheets

steve50951
steve50951 ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I have 75+ sheets that represent properties where my company does cabinet installation work. I am wanting to create rules and apply them to all the sheets at one time. 

As of right now, I have to re-create the rule 75 x's. 

Is there a way to create the rule once and apply it to all my sheets? 

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately, it's not possible natively but maybe thru the API or Control Center.

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike L.
    Mike L. ✭✭✭

This would be a worthy product enhancement request IMO.  I started by importing 36 sheets of data then had to go back to format (bold, alignment), correct column data types (sometimes things randomly import as dropdown), add conditional formatting rules, supplemental data columns.  It's not a problem when I import 5 new sheets a month to format them all but going back is frustrating. It would be very convenient to be able to add a rule or column to a group of files at the same time.  

• totally agree. it's been super frustrating and time consuming. 

Maybe they'll figure it out. 

SGF

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

API:

- can not create an automation rule.

- it can update one, but I have not tested new behavior since the release 2018-10-02. The behavior prior was not complete, so I doubt they fixed it.

- I have started to try to create new sheets ONLY from my own templates and each template has at least one Alert (I'm thinking that is not enough) so that if the API improves this will be something I can take advantage of.

- can not create, modify, or delete conditional formatting. In some cases, it allows reverse engineering by determining which conditional formatting effects which rows, but that is pretty much a dead-end. 

- the rest I think it can do

If you don't care about things like these on the targets sheets:

- additional conditional formatting

- any user defined filters

- cell history

The API could be used to bring a set of sheets up to the standards in the master.

Is there a demand for it?

Craig

• Mike L.
    Mike L. ✭✭✭

Not sure I follow (smartsheet newbie here), what is the purpose of the alert? (thanks!)

• Sure would be great to be able to apply conditional formatting and/or formulas across sheets.