Restrict Filter Off Option

ichen
ichen
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello there, 

I reviewed many thread discussions around the Filter functionality within SS, but I still wasn't able to find the answer to my question. Perhaps it got lost and I can't seem to find it, so I'd like to try again... 

Does SS currently have the feature to only share filters with view only users, specifically, I don't want the Filter Off option available for view only users. 

To provide some content to what I'm trying to achieve - I've finally created an Out of Office Leave request sheet that I've proposed to my executive team. They are satisfied with what I have built, but they have one additional requirement that I must meet in order to roll out to all our staff - restricting employees to only be able to view their time off requests, without the option to turn off the shared filters. Although many staff at my company are very open, some employees still want to keep their information private (i.e. if an employee wanted to take bereavement leave, they want that information private and not company known, etc.), which we need to respect. 

I've been able to create and share filters, but there's still the option for the employee to turn the Filter Off as a view only user, and see everyone's information. Is there a workaround for that? 

I read that cell-linking is an option, but I'd like to see if there's any other suggestions from the group before having to cell link 50 sheets... 

Please chime in! 

Thank you!

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Unfortunately, it's not possible natively.

Me recommendation would be to either set up a workflow with forms, approval and update requests or have one sheet per employee and then use reports to show everything in one view.

Another option would be the premium add-on, Dynamic View. With Dynamic View, you can set up exactly what you want.

Would any of those options work?

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks for your response Andrée. 

Let me know if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that even when it comes to creating report views, I'd still have to share the master sheet with our staff in order to continue communication through ss and not through external means (via email, slack, etc.).

I'm not familiar with Dynamic View, or if it's an available option for our company; but, since your response, I've continued my research in the ss community and came across several suggestions to use Zapier for similar situations. 

I've been trying to create a zapier for the last couple days, with no success. I'm not sure if I may be missing a step or if this is not an ideal solution at all. 

• I've set up my Trigger to Add a New Row to a sheet 
    • I've attempted to add a Filter by specific contents in the my Email Column 
    • I'm retrieving no Sample Data... 

Perhaps you can provide me with some insight? 

Thank you! 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

Can you describe in more detail your setup in Zapier? What is the filter looking for in the Email Column?

Happy Holidays & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andrée, 

I've realized that I won't be able to use Zapier as it involves too many steps for the account type that I have access to. 

My current workaround is to hide the columns that I don't want shared across all employees on my mastersheet, and I explored your first suggest from your first response (creating reports for each individual employee). It's not the most ideal situation since I can't seem to create a report for an employee that has not requested time off yet (please correct me if I'm wrong). So I have a running list of employees and those who have a report vs. no report so that I don't miss anyone. I'll create their report as they request time off throughout the year.

Thanks for your help! I'm in preparing to roll this out to our company for out of office tracking. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/11/19

Ok.

I'm always happy to help!

Beware, If there is sensitive information on the report and you've hidden the columns, it's still possible to see the information if you know how.

Regarding the employees that haven't requested time off: You could set up a report with a "Current User" criteria and that will only show the OOO request for the employee looking at the report.

Would that work?

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée

• Hey Andrée, 

Hope you had a great weekend! 

Thanks for your tip about the hidden columns - I played around with it some more after your note and realized that when you export the information to excel / google sheets - the hidden columns can become "editable" (unhidden) - is there anyway to prevent that at all? Or even to disable export functionality for individuals with view only permissions? 

With regards to your suggested to set up a report with "Current User" criteria, I've gone ahead and tested this, and no lines populate... perhaps I'm setting it up wrong? 

Any suggestions for the above would be much appreciated. 

Thanks for your help! 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

I had a great weekend, and I hope you had the same!

Unfortunately, it's not possible as far as I know at the moment to turn off the export function, but it's a great idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

One possible workaround could be to publish the sheet as read only HTML because then it's not possible to export the sheet.

Would that work?

Regarding the "Current User"

I'd be happy to take a look!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

• Hi Andrée, 

I'm unfortunately trying to fight off a bug that's floating around our office - we really support the sharing is caring concept, and everyone must get sick! 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to maintain communication within the sheets is if the users also have access to the sheet - even if it's view only permission? I have Contact Lists on the sheet so that Approving Manager's receive an approval request notification and individuals covering for the the person on vacation will also be notified. I've noticed that if they don't have access to the sheet, I get an invalid email notification from ss. Hence why it's important to share the sheet, but not all the information. 

I just shared a workspace with you containing a duplicate sheet with dummy data as well as a report that I'm trying to set up with the "Current User" selected. 

It may be easier to explain what I'm trying to get at once you've a chance to visually see what I've built. 

In the mean time, I'm trying to see if I can find any other workarounds. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you! 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ilona,

Get well soon! Tell your colleagues they've misunderstood the concept of sharing is caring ;)

For the report to work, there has to be an email in the contact details. I've added yours to the one you shared, and you should see those two rows in the report. Did it work?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to maintain communication within the sheets is if the users also have access to the sheet - even if it's view only permission? I have Contact Lists on the sheet so that Approving Manager's receive an approval request notification and individuals covering for the the person on vacation will also be notified. I've noticed that if they don't have access to the sheet, I get an invalid email notification from ss. Hence why it's important to share the sheet, but not all the information. 

No, fortunately, that's not the case. You can share with anyone and notify anyone, but you must change the Alerts & Actions Permission Settings to allow it.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Andrée