Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Exporting into Excel - how do I create a timeline?!

Hi,

I need to export my Gantt chart (timeline) into an Excel sheet to share within the business. but this currently can't be done in Smart Sheet. What workarounds/other options do I have? I absolutely have to show it visually!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• JohnHinkle
    JohnHinkle ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is not a limitation of Smartsheet, it is a limitation of Excel. Excel was not designed for robust project management and does not support Gantt charts. Microsoft's project management solution is called Microsoft Project and will show Gantt charts when exported from Smartsheet.

If you dont mind me asking, why cant you use Smartsheet to visually show and share your data? You could show it directly in Smartsheet or export/email the Gantt chart and data as an image or PDF file.  

If you have to use Excel, you could export your Smartsheet Gantt chart as an image file, then insert the image into the Excel file.

• Thanks John. I have to send out our marketing calendar to a wide audience who don't use Smart Sheet currently. I think the pdf will be my best option to avoid additional work!

• Kegan
    Kegan
    edited 01/11/16

Hi Natalie,

I would strongly suggest checking out Office Timeline (https://www.officetimeline.com/).  This is a fantastic visualisation tool that should absolutely be able to provide you with the views you are looking for.  Also integrates tightly with Smartsheet so limited re-working required before slotting into your presentations.

Kegan

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

And there is a free version! Cool!

Craig

This discussion has been closed.