Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Change first day of week to MONDAY, instead of SUNDAY

Daniel Kast
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

in the German speaking part of Europe, a calendar is usually shown with MONDAY being the first day, and both Weekend days SAT and SUN at the end of the calendar.

This should be something that is user specific. So where in the user setting can either the admin or the user himself change the first day of the week from SUN to MON?

Since in one Enterprise account, staff from different countries and continents can work together, this should not be an account setting for all the users, but rather a setting that is user specific.

Out of the same reason, it shouldn't be sheet-based, as staff from several offices can work on the same sheet. Again, it has to be user-specific.

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Daniel, while it is not possible to change the start day in the Calendar (I will add your vote for this) sheet Admins can change the start day in the Gantt chart by opening Project Settings > Timeline Display > Start day for week. This setting is user and sheet-specific.

Note: if you share a sheet with someone, your settings will carry over to them but they can change the start day of the week after they have access to the sheet, and it will affect anyone else viewing the sheet.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Travis,

Add my vote as well. This was a request from one of my German customers.

If they need convincing, ISO-8601 counts weeks with the weeks beginning on Monday. The US starts on Sunday, the Islamic calendar on Saturday.

Also, week numbering is also a problem. Currently, no intrinsic funtion for this in Smartsheet. Please add my vote that would be one and it be configurable (or follow the ISO standard if you have to pick one).

Craig Williams

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Craig, I will add your vote for this!

As far as week numbering, are you referring to displaying the number the week is within a calendar year? Here are a few formulas we recently added to Smartsheet which might help you:

=weekday(date)

Returns the number of the day in the week, with Sunday =1 (i.e. Sunday is the first day of the week regardless of settings.  This is equivalent to the formula =showdatetime(date,”{e}”).

=weeknumber(date)

Returns the number of the week in the year.  This is equivalent to the formula =showdatetime(date, {“w”}).

=yearday(date)

Returns the number of the day in the year.  This is equivalent to =date - <date on Jan 1> but will work for date that spans years without requiring complex formulas.  It is also equivalent to the formula =showdatetime(date, {“D”}).

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Travis.

I'll give the new formulas a go!

Craig

• Hi, what is the status of the "first day of the week" setting request?

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Grzegorz, this has not been implemented at this time but I'll add your vote for it!

• Even after our Admin of gantt chart changes week to start on Monday, the change shows ONLY on Admin's screen.  Other shared users still see week's starting on Sunday nor can they change any gantt settings.  Appears that the Admin's change isn't rolling out to the shared users

• When I change the startday in project settings, it also doesn't reflect in the Calendar. Only my Gantt-view is effected.

In 2012 this also came up during a tool selection within a company I've worked for. Smartsheet was removed from the shortlist due the lack of descent regional settings and because task duration only could be set in days.

On the latter improvements have been made, but those regional settings are still not added. So please, count me in. 

• Hi Maik-- I have added your vote for this!

• Kristin Crawford
    edited 09/23/16

I would like to add my vote for this as well. Our work weeks start on Monday. :-)

• I'd like to add my vote as well!

• One more vote her for possibility to start work weeks on Mondays.

• Another vote for missing functionality

• JO H
    JO H ✭✭✭

really need this :)

• Please add my vote too !

This discussion has been closed.