Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Update Requests

Mark Pennisi
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hello, I am beginning a project that requires a very large smartsheet document. I am tracking everything in this sheet and was wondering about an easier way to send out update requests. Instead of going line by line and sending a request, is there a way to send out automatic update requests to coworkers that the task is assigned to? Also, these coworkers do not have access to the smartsheet.. Thanks.

Comments

• Maaik Meijerink
    Maaik Meijerink ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Mark,

As far as I know it has to be done one line at a time. You can however filter the sheet or make a report for every coworker. This way typing in the request-recipient is a matter of copy-once / paste-many. Not the answer you were waiting for I guess ;-)

What we do at 4EF is making use of the Smartsheet API quite often for such 'problems'. Please refer to http://smartsheet-platform.github.io/api-docs/#create-update-request or if possible we can make a solution for you.

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Mark, update requests can include multiple rows. There are two ways to select multiple rows:

If they are successive:

-Single left click on the row number of the first row

-Hold shift

-Single left click on the row number of the last row

-Right click in highlighted area and select Send Update Request

If they are not successive:

-Hold CTRL

-Single left click on each row number you want included 

-Right click in highlighted area and select Send Update Request

You could also filter to show only rows assigned to a certain user, then use the first method above to select all the rows they are assigned to.

There wont be a way to send these automatically but they can bet set up to send on a recurring basis.

• Does the update request have the option to include an image from the cells?

• Hi Tony-- If any of the cells included in the Update Request contain an image, this image will be included in the Update Request!

• Hi All,

Question regarding automatic updates. We have one editor and everyone else is a viewer for one of our smart sheets. It there a way to send automatic update requests so that they are able to update the status when the due date is nearing? Currently I have to manually update the status of each task. We do not want to take the risk of giving everyone access to the page and having something deleted accidently as there are many users who are not familiar with smart sheet.

I reviewed a few of the community threads but haven't seen anything recently for this. Thank you,

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Amanda,

The Update Requests have Delivery Options that you can set to send them 

Once

Daily

Weekly

Monthly

Yearly

When you open the Send Update Request dialog, click on the Delivery: [Edit...] button.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.