Sharing only certain data for edit on sheet.

Junio`
Junio`
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi, 

I got 5 sales reps that all log their new customer in rows on a master sheet. Each row has an assign to column for each sales rep. How could I share this sheet to each one of the sales rep so that they can only see their customers and not have access to the ones their peers are logging in?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Junio,

Unfortunately, it's not possible to "isolate" the information in the sheet so that .no one else can access it.

Do you want/need to make it impossible for the sales reps to see each other's information?

If yes, I would suggest setting up one sheet per sales rep and then collect everything for you and others in a report instead.

The second option could be to use the premium add-on called Dynamic View.

More info. https://www.smartsheet.com/product/dynamic-view 

Would that work?

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike L.
    Mike L. ✭✭✭

This is basic functionality not a premium add-on. This is one crazy business model in my opinion. 

• @Mike L. : Your comment made me smile :D Nevertheless, I agree with you 100%.

• New to smartsheet, and quite surprised that this does not exist as a basic feature.

• This is an important feature when working with teams from multiple companies. This is also the reason I've eventually abandoned other PM applications. Smartsheet should make this a standard feature.

• Steve Rieger
    edited 10/14/20

I've used different low code/no code toolsets. Smartsheet does a decent job in this arena, however, the security model has a gaping hole in it.

Each row should have two built in columns where an admin or developer can compute the values.

1. List of who can Read the row
    2. List of who can Edit the row

Either of the two fields will contain a combination of one or more User Names (email), Groups, or Roles.

The software would automatically show / hide rows based on the user accessing them. If the user is not a member of either the reader / editor fields they can't see the row. This is standard issue for any data management system and easily programmed into the core library of the underlying program.

If you need help coding this I'm available 😁