Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How can I exclude a task(s) from my report if the predecessor for that task is not complete?

Tim Lebel
Tim Lebel
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I have a dozen or so proejcts each with their own sheet.  I've created a simple report that looks at each project and returns tasks that meet two criteria:

1.  The task has not been marked complete

2.  The task has a due date of 5 days or less.

This report works fine, but it returns more data than I want to report on.  Specifically, it reports on tasks that are dependent on other tasks being completed.  I only want to report on the first task (earliest due date) in a chain of dependent tasks.  

Thank you,

Tim

Tags:

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Tim! Reports are designed to bring in rows based on criteria in a single row. 

In your sheet, you could build a formula that checks the row above for completion (this would work if your tasks are in sequential order and you dont sort/rearrange). 

The formula could look like this (located in row 6):

=IF(Status5 = 1, 1, 0)

This checks the status on row 5 (flag column) and if the task is complete (flagged) then the formula displays a 1. If the task is not complete, it shows a 0. This criteria could then be used as a report criteria. 

• Judith Blanken
    edited 03/06/16

For me the same problem. But if I have done like you recommended I can not build the report correctly.

Because

1. Status must be NOT completed 

2. Status of predecessor task MUST BE completes

If I make a report like this only the rows are showed which status NOT completed AND (or OR) predecessor task MUST BE completes. But i Like to have a repport wiith both

So I like to have in the report

Rows which not completes but IF there is a predecessor task than only if the extra collumn shows a 1 (predecessor task is completed)

How can I build that report?

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Judith, there would have to be something in your row that indicates the predecessor is completed. You could use a formula to check a box or set a status if the predecessor is complete - then use this in your report. This would be easy if all your rows/predecessors were consecutive but would take a little longer to set up if they are not.  

This discussion has been closed.