Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Include Parent Rows in Reports

Options
2»

Comments

• SophH
    Options

Does anyone find a good solution for this one? I'm tearing my hair our trying to include parent rows in reports.

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

SopH,

Check the ideas from Craig and Kris.  Basically, you'll need to create 'helper columns', which are columns you'll use as part of your filters so that the parent rows are included.

• Todd Elsbernd
    Todd Elsbernd ✭✭
    edited 01/14/18
    Options

In some cases, it is really tricky to get the parent to show up, because of limitations on the report filters (like forcing all ANDs or all ORs). I had an interesting case recently, where I needed a report to include the parents, but the filter needed to be dependent only on dates. Each row had a start and end date which vary, but the parent rows' end dates matched the end date of the "last" child. I finally solved it by adding in a column called "ParentEndDate", which, if the row was a parent, was its own end date, but if the row was a child, was its PARENT's end date. In this manner, both the parent and all its children had the same value in this column. So then on the report, I just set the WHEN to be "ParentEndDate is in the past":

ParentEndDate formula:   =IF(COUNT(CHILDREN()) > 0, [EndDate]rowNumberHere, PARENT([EndDate]rowNumberHere))

• Please add my vote to add a solution as simple as the checkbox offered in sheet filters to include a task's parent row in a report.  Thanks! 

• Mattias
    Mattias ✭✭
    Options

Yet another feature I assumed was a no-brainer to be included.

+1 on this one too then from me.

Hat off to all you who fabricobble up some work arounds, but its a no-go to have to do all that every time I have a project.

• h1pst3r
    Options

It is a complete joke that there is no straight-forward way to add parent+child rows in a report. It works at the sheet level with filters but not in a report??

Absolutely unworkable, even with these work-arounds, with multiple complex projects. 

Honestly, Smartsheet, this is a blatant joke in terms of lack of functionality.  Shame on you... this is enough to get to me start using a real project management solution rather than cobbling together "helper columns".

• h1pst3r
    Options

It is a complete joke that there is no straight-forward way to add parent+child rows in a report. It works at the sheet level with filters but not in a report??

Absolutely unworkable, even with these work-arounds, with multiple complex projects. 

Honestly, Smartsheet, this is a blatant joke in terms of lack of functionality.  Shame on you... this is enough to get to me start using a real project management solution rather than cobbling together "helper columns".

This discussion has been closed.