Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Microsoft Project Import Settings

David M
David M
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi guys, 

I have a client who needs to view an export from smart sheet in MS Project. 

It's quite a large plan of 1000+ lines, and whenever I import either the XML or Excel file from smart sheet into Microsoft Project (have tried versions 2010 and 2016), the dates are changed Microsoft Project. 

I believe this is because Project's default settings enforce different project constraints to smart sheet, only because smart sheet exports as either an XML or Excel file rather than a Project file, these contraints and Project settings are not imported into Project and therefore the dates do not align with the my plan in smart sheet. 

Does someone know what settings are needed in MS Project to ensure that I can export from Smart Sheet to MS Project without having my dates changed by MS Project?

If I can't resolve this then Smart Sheets Project export functionality is basically useless...

Thanks, 

David

Comments

• Tim Meeks
    Tim Meeks ✭✭✭✭✭✭

David,

I have not tried what you are doing, but I think you are on the right track. 

Check to see if the Auto Schedule function is enabled in MS Project.

In MS Project, go to  File/Options/Schedule  and under the Scheduling Options for this project section, see if the New Tasks Created is set to Auto or Manual. If Auto change to Manual and try it. 

If that doesn't work, I'd turn off anything in that may Auto schedule, 

Hope that helps.

Tim

This discussion has been closed.