Using SmartSheet for Discussions/Messages/Threads

chadwicktr
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello!

We've been using SmartSheet for the last ~9 months and love many of its features (e.g. project plans, Risk, Actions, and Issue Logs, etc). One use case that we haven't been able to find a great solution for, however, is basecamp like message boards/discussions (https://basecamp.com/features#message-boards)

How have you been able to replicate something similar in SmartSheets?

SS comments are good for some communication items, but they are not front and center of a sheet, the comments are sometimes difficult for some end users to find / track, and you can't really format comments like you can in basecamp. 

We'd love to fully convert to Smartsheets, so any input is appreciated! 

Comments

• JeremiahHorstick
    JeremiahHorstick ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you checked out the slack integration? I'm interested to hear what you come up with on this. 

• chadwicktr
    edited 03/26/19

Hi Jeremiah,

Thanks for the note. I looked at Teams/Slack integrations, but we use Basecamp more for forum based communication. Less chat like.

We drive our project teams to basecamp over email since communication around main topics can be organized in one place. And easily accessed/searched for months down the road.

E.g. our clients/consultants will post a message documenting a key business scenario and key project stake holders are notified and can post responses. Then, weeks or months down the road, we can easily see that "thread" with all of the supporting dialog. And we can search the project via keywords to dig up related threads. 

Also e.g., you can embed images for visual ques, use bullet/number lists, etc. 

It's also front and center in Basecamp. While SS has comments, they are not easy to see and don't seem intended for this use case.

I'd love to hear what others are doing...

Chad

• Hi Chad, did you ever find a solution to this, we have exactly the same issue?

Thanks,

Kerry.