Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Freeze Rows?

Options

Comments

• Meghan Hubertz
    Options

This feature would be great. It's been over a year since the request was made and numerous Smartsheet users have voted for it. Probably will not happen, but please add my vote.

• Todd Elsbernd
    Options

Smartsheet team, please add this BASIC function that every other spreadsheet program out there has... it has been almost a year and a half since this was first requested. Thanks!

• +1..any eta on this request?

• Sue Fabre
    Sue Fabre
    edited 12/09/16
    Options

+1 for this much-needed feature.

• Arden
    Options

please add this feature, it is a necessity!

• Dennis Wierzbicki
    Options

The more I use SmartSheet (and I've been using it for more than 5 years), the more BASIC things I run across that it does NOT do...like freezing rows (or merging cells, or allowing you to draw borders, or allowing you to select different formats for cells in the same row, or doing a LOOKUP across multiple sheets, and on and on). Simple SIMPLE spreadsheet functions we've had in Excel for 20+ years. Makes it difficult to explain to my boss why this "Great" tool I've sold them all on isn't as powerful as Excel was in the early 90's......

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This has got to be one of the oldest threads Sealed

• Dennis Wierzbicki
    Options

Brad, yup, which is one of the reasons I resurected the thread. Seems I see this a lot on these boards: I look to see if anyone else has requested the thing I'm looking for. I find threads that go back for years, with many time, hundreads of posts requesting something, and without exception, I find that the requested feature has not been implemented. Makes me wonder why I, or anyone else, even bothers to come here and post. Seems we're all just whistlin' in the wind...

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/03/17
    Options

@Dennis.

5 years on the system and only 48pts in the forum?!?!  

You should be sharing your knowledge with the rest of us Frown.  Don't be stingy.

As to Excel vs SS, there's no question that Excel is more feature-packed and functional.  However, they're not really the same game.  

Excel is a spreadsheet program with some sharing features.

SS is a collaboration platform that happens to look like a spreadsheet .  

The appearance is one of it's best attributes, because new users don't feel intimidated by the interface, but you have to consider the skeleton underneath the skin.

• Jamison
    Jamison ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have seen that mentioned frequently when people bring up the UI for Smartsheet. If it is just a familiar way of presenting the otherwise complex underlying database, perhaps they need to focus on ensuring that familiarity goes beyond just the row and columns look and incorporate some of those quite basic (from a 'typical' spreadsheet users point of view) items that Dennis mentioned. 

I can see the challenges with things like merging that could have an impact of the underlying data, but freezing rows? Improving/customizing the presentation of the data? That seems more like a priority decision vs. an execution decision.  

• Salter
    Salter ✭✭
    Options

This is a serious flaw. Combined with other standard spreadsheet functionality like tabs and cell merge - Smartsheet, as nice as it is - lacks severely in basic functions and is not all that "smart" to be honest. I suspect that the marketing team is foscused on meta features that are meant to extract additional licensing fees. 

Get the basic right, folks. 

• M Thompson
    Options

I generally like to freeze the title row, so for Smartsheet the work around is to re-name the columns. 

• Spool
    Spool
    edited 03/09/17
    Options

would really like this function as well

• M Thompson
    Options

We use Smartsheet for Project Management. It is much friendlier than MS Project and has great features like attaching documents right in the spreadsheet, sending comments and update requests from the spreadsheet.  Another really GREAT feature is the card view.  I can share the file with all the responsible folks on the project; they can switch to the card view and all the tasks are lined up by responsible person. This is much easier than those same people scrolling down through hundreds of lines to find their tasks. 

card view.jpg

This discussion has been closed.