Can I send daily update requests with these conditions?

philipwiens
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I would like to be able to send update requests to all assignees who have work assigned to them in a daily fashion. 

I have observed that I can send update requests by selecting each row. I have also observed that I can send update requests in a condition where a row is added or changed. These options don't work for what I am trying to do.

Please let me know if there is a way to send update requests, daily, to everyone in the assigned field.

Comments

• Shawn Connelly
    Shawn Connelly ✭✭✭
    edited 04/24/19

I think this is not an option for good reason. You could end up sending people requests until the end of time, and if they don't have access to disable it and something happened to you, then they would never end.

That said, as a workaround, you could just create a column that you change each day from 1 to 0 one day, and then back to 1 again the next day. You would have to do this for all rows where you have tasks assigned in the sheet. You could also add a column that uses the today() function and use that column as the trigger date for your update request. But you would still have to apply the formula to all rows, and you would have to open the sheet each day, so that the formula will update, but it would be less hassle than having to drag changes all the way down the sheet.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Philip,

It's coming!

More info: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/coming-2019-recurring-workflows

There also are a few different workarounds to make it work today. The best depends on your specific need and process.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks for the responses! Ill try to explain it conceptually.

The whole reason for wanting this feature is the hope that my sheet can manage itself. I want to be able to create a sheet where my stakeholders, who are not smartsheet account holders, can use 'form updates' to enter tasks, and then those new tasks will be caught by my automatic 'update request' and sent to the assignees.

The way it works now I have to select the rows which I want my assignees to update in the update request at the same time each day. Because new ones were added through form requests. :)

I hope that makes sense.

If I have this "recurring workflow" I never have to log into the sheet if I dont want to and I am free to explore some of the more advanced smartsheet features. ;) 

Thanks for the help! I look forward to the feature. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happ to help!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.