Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Duration in parent row not calculating

Lainie Franklin
Lainie Franklin ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I have a parent row that is indicating duration of its child rows as 78,324 days when in fact it's actually 53 days--February 1 - April 29. (I made sure the dates were all in 2016).   I had one row that was showing several thousand days when it was actually 21 days. I fixed that and saved the sheet but the parent row is not updating. Any thoughts? 


Thanks for your help!


Lainie Franklin





  • Lainie Franklin
    Lainie Franklin ✭✭✭✭

    Update to this - I started to take out the start and end dates to re-enter them. I got down to the fourth child row and the duration of the parent row recalculated. I have no clue what was wrong initially but would welcome input because this is happening in other areas as well. 


    Thanks again! 



  • I would guess there is a task where the end date year is the incorrect year (you might see 2/4/16 but that could be 2/4/2116 for example). 


    Its easy to tell which row is doing this. Open your Gantt chart and scroll through it until you see the Gantt bar that stretches over a couple years. 

  • Lainie Franklin
    Lainie Franklin ✭✭✭✭

    That's what I thought and so I looked at all of them but they all said 2016!  But when I deleted some out and re-entered it was fixed. Not a clue!


  • Lainie Franklin
    Lainie Franklin ✭✭✭✭

    Thanks Craig. I will give that a try. Most appreciated!


  • J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I had a problem recently, which I did not have time to investigate and can not reproduce at 11pm on Sunday night, where I would enter dates and they would be wrong. Like years wrong or the month and years being swapped.

    Or something like that. Definitely wrong. 


    If it happens again, try this in a Text/Number column:


    =YEAR([Date Column]23) where Date Column is the name of your start or end dates that are causing problems and row 23. Copy that to rest of the column.

    You might want to columns (one for start, one for end)



    ps: while trying this, I found a short-cut I did not know existed;

    Type a "4", enter in a Date column -- and it will show your current month and year as defaults (so today is 04/04/16). 


This discussion has been closed.