Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Auto-generated Create Date - remove time

Wayne Pacholl
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I'd like to filter on things created on a certain date, I don't need time.  Anyway to remove time from the auto-generated field?

Comments

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wayne,

use DATEONLY() function.

Check out in this Help article:

DATEONLY(): Extracts the date portion of a date/time value.

• Example: =DATEONLY([Due Date]5)
    • Result: 03/01/14
    NOTE: Currently only system columns and start/end date columns in dependency-enabled project sheets have a time component.
  • Thanks Atus.  I see how I can use that on an existing list of data.  I don't suppose I can use this for the auto-generated field so it defaults that formula to any newly created records?  

• The created date/modified date columns will always show time but you can run calculations off of them and run filters/reports based on the date without removing the time. Just use it the way you would use a Date column. 

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Dave, that's right. 

Wayne, for your question: yes, if the formula is in the last row, and you write in a new one, the formula will "go" with it, so the column in the new row will be auto-populated (first with "MISSING OR INVALID PARAMETERS", but once you save your data, there will be dates). 

I saved this sheet before typing "five" (ignore the 2nd column and the strange date format):

Atus

onlydate.JPG

• Is it possible to get the time only portion of the created column using a formula?

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I don't know. There's no formula for it like DATEONLY(). 

If you try with =Modified53 - DATEONLY(Modified53), it gives you zero, so you can't even calculate with it.

This discussion has been closed.