Sheet Divider & Section Freeze

ichen
ichen
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello there, 

I'm currently working on building a very simple timesheet to capture individual time allocation. 

I have a few columns (Reference Section - Reference Section.jpg) with the following information: 

• Month
  • Number of Days (within corresponding month, excluding weekend and statutory holidays)
  • Number of Reported Days (against corresponding month)
  • Number of Remaining Days (against corresponding month that has not yet been accounted for)​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

I want this Reference Section "locked" and separate from the Actual Section where staff will be adding in their information. 

I've added a divider and cell colour to differentiate this section; however, I want to specifically freeze the Reference Section. A couple examples:

1. If a staff member decides to add a row to the top of the sheet (instead of scrolling all the way to the bottom of the sheet), I want the Reference Section to remain at the top of the page (i.e. "locked")
  2. If a staff member decides to add a row in the Actual Section that falls between a month within the Reference Section, an entirely new row is added in for both the Actual and Reference Section (this one is a bit difficult to explain, I've added a photo for reference - Added Row.jpg

I've tried both locking the Column and Row for the Reference Section; however, if I lock the Row - it won't allow my staff to add their time in the Actual Section of the locked Row. 

I've considered adding the Reference Section at the top of the sheet and the Actual Section to the bottom; however when I need to generate a report for all staff actual time, it doesn't go over too well (unless I'm incorrectly generating the report...)

Any suggestions or work around which I may have missed is very much appreciated. 

Cheers, 

Ilona C

Reference Section.jpg

Added Row.jpg

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/01/19

Hi Ilona,

Does the staff need to see the reference section? Does it have to be on the same sheet? Would it work for the staff to add to the sheet thru a form instead?

Depending on the answers to above, I would recommend one of these options:

1. Hide the reference section under a parent as child rows
    2. Move the reference section to another sheet
    3. Move the staff area below the reference section and then restructure the report to not include the reference section
    4. Use a form to add to the top or bottom of the sheet

Would any of those options work/help?

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andrée, 

Thank you for your response. 

I'd like our staff to have "view" access to the Reference Section, and I think it would be best/convenient to have that Section available on the same sheet. 

I've considered the solution for staff to add to the sheet through a form; however, due to the limitations within form submissions, I don't anticipate that this will be well adapted by our staff (since capturing individual time allocation is already a challenge as is). For example, some of our staff may work on more than one project, but when filling out a form, they can only allocate themselves to one project per submission (as far as I understand, if I want to have one line item per project). This means for those individuals who are on four or five projects to have to re-submit the form multiple times. Hence the solution for each staff to add their project to their own Employee Timesheet.

Based on your recommendations, I'm interested in your third suggestion. Can you walk me through how to restructure the report to not include the Reference Section? I've attempted this in the past and parts of the Reference Section did end up in the report, perhaps I was doing something incorrectly. 

Much appreciate your help! 

Ilona C. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Can you share the sheet with me again? It would make it easier to show an example that way.

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andrée, 

Please check your workspace for an existing space that I had shared with you earlier this year when we were collaborating my out of office sheet. The workspace should be labeled "Andrée Starå". 

I've added a sheet there"Andrée Starå Timesheet", which is the one that I'm currently working on and would like your help with. 

Thank you! 

Ilona C. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

I'll take a look in a few hours and get back to you!

Best,

Andrée

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've shared an example of a report and a sheet with you!

Let me know what you think and if you have questions.

Best,

Andrée

• Hi Andrée, 

I was fiddling around with the SS and created something very similar to the example you shared with me. 

Many thanks for your help on this. Will reach out again if more questions arise. 

Ilona C. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

I'm always happy to help!

Best,

Andrée