Sorting by date (ignoring blanks)

ArthurC
ArthurC ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Sorry for the easy question. I've looked around and can't find the answer.

I have a report full of dates, some of the dates are also blank. When I sort the column by ascending date, it starts with all the blanks, then the earliest date to the latest.

when i sort descending, it gives me the latest date first to the earliest, the the blanks.

i'm looking for, earliest date to latest date THEN blanks.

this is in a report, so i can't use a formula. 

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You would need to add something to the source sheet that will essentially place the blank dates last. Something like a checkbox column with a basic

=IF(ISBLANK(Date@row), 1)

This will check the box for all rows that have blank dates. Include this column on your report (it can be hidden on both the report and sheet after setting it up), and sort by that first.

Sort by: Helper Column/Descending

Then by: Date Column/Ascending or Descending (whichever you need)

• ArthurC
    ArthurC ✭✭✭✭

While this solution will work, it's not that practical.

I have a list of people, and a column of dates of when they are scheduled, not everybody is scheduled but i want to know the most recent. 

I would then have to have people when they are inputting the dates, to also check off the box for helper. 

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

"I would then have to have people when they are inputting the dates, to also check off the box for helper. "

No. The formula provided automatically checks the box if a date is blank, and will remain unchecked if there is a date. The whole reason for the formula in the Helper column is for the automation of the process.

=IF(ISBLANK(Date@row), 1)