Data Mesh Sync

Jeremy Davis
Jeremy Davis ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I'm using Data Mesh to try to keep the records in a report synchronized with a target sheet.  It seems to be working for adding new records to the target sheet and for updating existing records in the target sheet.  However, if a record is removed from the source, I need to have it removed from my target sheet.  Data Mesh recognizes unmatched records, but there isn't an option to delete unmatched records.

Any ideas how I can get Data Mesh to delete these unmatched records that are no longer in the source?

Comments

• Alejandra
    Alejandra Employee

Hi Jeremy,

There currently isn't a way to delete unmatched records in DataMesh. When you have a moment, submit a Product Enhancement Request to let our Product team know that you'd like to have this functionality in DataMesh. 

• sean59916
    sean59916 ✭✭✭
    edited 07/12/19

Yep, i'm running into the same issue!

According to https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2476796-get-started-smartsheet-data-mesh - Smartsheet DataMesh provides lookup functionality between sheets and facilitates data consistency.

That's misleading!! Smartsheet, maybe you need a * disclaimer - unless the data is removed from the source sheet.

• sean59916
    sean59916 ✭✭✭
    edited 07/12/19

Hey Jeremy - 

The work around that i have at the moment is to change the source to something recognizable (like -DELETE- for example), run the datamesh to update the target sheets, then go back and delete the row in the source sheet.

You could then setup an alert or conditional format in the target sheets to show you that a row is to be deleted from the source. Hardly ideal!

See below..what did you end up doing?

Sean

2019-07-12_17-00-03.jpg

2019-07-12_17-01-57.jpg

• Alejandra
    Alejandra Employee

Hi Sean, 

I've submitted a request to update our Help Center article with this information. Thank you!

• Geoff Baker
    Geoff Baker ✭✭✭✭

WOW I just bought DataMesh.

I was having the exact issue. If an Item is deleted on the source sheet it is not removed for the other pages.

DataMesh was pushed by Smart Sheet the sales team to keep our data current and accurate.

This seems like a major HOLE in that statement.

I really feel missled.

• Hannah Ellis
    Hannah Ellis Employee
    edited 03/24/22

Tagging on to this chain - it came up with a customer. Are there any updates about potentially adding this capability (delete information that no longer exists) to datamesh in the future?