Relational Database Capabilities

markakins98106
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I am looking at relating multiple tables of data together for both data presentation/data entry and reporting purposes.  I have the following tables: implementation projects (high level project info like scope, start date, end date, project indicators, etc.), customers, customer contacts,  development requests (SCRs), etc. It would be nice to set up a project view where we can select a particular project and see the project info with tabs (or pages) for the customer, customer contacts, and development requests.  Similarly, I would like to relate the tables together for reporting purposes.  I have not been able to find anything in the community posts that states smartsheet supports this relational database type model.  Can you point me to some documentation on this?

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If I am understanding what you are looking for correctly...

You could use cell linking to have specific search criteria populated on each of the different sheets. From there you can build a filter to only display the rows that match the search criteria entered.

You can then publish each of the sheets and display them on a dashboard so that all info is collected in one place.

For reporting purposes you could either calculate what you need on each sheet and use cell linking to pull each of those metrics onto a master sheet, you could use cross sheet formulas on a master metrics sheet, or you could use a combination. Exactly what would work best for you depends on the type of data and how much of it you are wanting to pull/display.

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

hello 

Smartsheet on it's own cannot perform like a database as you have realised. Like using your tables to provide a conditional logic solution for your users is a popular request along with your other requirements too. Eg using a form, the second question changes according to the first question answered... a regular request for a smartsheet upgrade. which we hope is on it's way soon? but in the meantime... 

The good news is there is a good and relatively cheap solution available that provides the user interface you need to add functionality to your Smartsheets, it is called Appsheet, introduced to us by Smartsheet several years ago and we have become Appsheet consultants with considerable experience, so the design and build is easy for us and you can take control once set up. (easier and faster that way than self learn). 

See this explanatory video and let me know if you would like a free initial consultation and demo? 

Richardr@smarterbusinessprocesses.com (Located in USA UK and Canada)