Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Sudden (unwanted) change of country settings within sheets?

Dietrich Koch
Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Suddenly I can no longer calculate with the german country settings. The decimal point switched to point instead of the comma.

E.g. the calulcation =38,40 + 22,40  throws #MISSING OR INVALID PARAMETERS

If I try it with american diction it works: =38.40 + 22.40 gives 60,80

Astonishingly that the result shows the expected decimal point (comma)...

I checked my account settings (Account > Personal Settings > Profile > Language (Country)) but they are correctly set to Germany. 

I've talked to other colleagues and they have all the same problem. It definitively work correctly before...

Anyone experienced this before and might have a solution?
Anything we might have accidentively switched? 

Or do you have the same problem?

Best

Dietrich

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I can reproduce the problem when I switched to Deutsch(Deutschland).

I know of no System Admin type of setting for this - I thought it was always Personal Settings.

Here's another (unrelated) behavior when testing this:

1. Switching from English (USA) to Deutsh (Deutschland), the system warned me I needed to log out / log in for the settings to go into effect.

2. Switched from Deutsch to English (United Kingdom) -- no warning.

Perhaps it is related to the football game last night?

(Too soon?)

Craig

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Same behavior (including no warning and display of comma when using period) for

Espanol (Espana)

Dutch (Belgium)

Craig

• Hi Dietrich-- Aplogies for the delay in my response, I've been out of the office. Are you still experiencing this issue? If so, let me know so I can follow up on this. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Kennedy,

It still exists.

=22,23+34,23 results in an error.

22,23 in column A and 34,23 in column B both display as numbers.

column C = [column A]23 + [column B]23

gives the correct answer and has the comma.

Craig

European_Numbers.jpg

• Dietrich Koch
    Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/11/16

Hi Kennedy,

yes we do, situation has not changed. Please check and restore so that we are able again to enter values with comma in formulas!

Best 

Dietrich

• Thanks for this information, everyone! I've reported this as a bug and will update this thread as soon as I have more information.

• Hi all-- I checked in with our Dev team and it looks like this is a known issue that we are still working on determining the best way to resolve. Basically, the application (like Excel, and likely other spreadsheet software) cannot process commas as decimal separators. There are a few options that we're looking into to fix this, particularly in relation to the updates we're working on with the formula engine, but at this point, the workaround is to use a period for the decimal separator.

• Dietrich Koch
    Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Kennedy,

thank you for your investigation, although it's not the answer I was hoping to hear...

Do you have a timeframe I can offer my colleagues?

Best

Dietrich

• Dietrich Koch
    Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Kennedy,

do you have a rough estimation for the introduction of the new formula engine?

This summer, end of 2016, next year?

Best

Dietrich

• Kennedy Stomps
    Kennedy Stomps Employee
    edited 08/02/16

Hi Dietrich-- I believe our team is aiming for later this year! I have a meeting next week to review the functionality, so I can better assist the Community upon release, and will try to get an update on the timeframe then.

• Dietrich Koch
    Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds great - since we already are in August, it won't take that long!
    I think there will be many people eagerly waiting for an update of the formula engine...

Looking forward to your info!

Best

Dietrich

• Dietrich Koch
    Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Kennedy,

getting back to my problem - it seems that a solution has not found it's way into the currently updated formula engine...

Is it still on the agenda until end of year?

Do you have any news?

Best

Dietrich

• Hi Dietrich-- No news, unfortunately. I know there were some technical challenges related to implementing a fix for this and we're having conversations about the best way to resolve it. I'll keep an eye on the bug fix lists for our upcoming releases and let you know if there's any updates!

• Dietrich Koch
    Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Kennedy,

thanks for your info!

So I continue to hope that there will be a fix in the near future...

Best

Dietrich

This discussion has been closed.