Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Changing the date display format

Becky Swanwick
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi there,

I'm aware that I can change how the date is displayed in my schedules by going into my personal settings and setting the relevant country (in my case, the UK), but I would like to adapt the display format further to show days of the week. Is this possible?

Note: I'm using grid view. I'm aware I could switch to calendar view, for example, but it would be really useful to be able to see which day of the week dates fall on in grid view.

Many thanks,

Becky

Comments

• Greg Gates
    Greg Gates ✭✭✭✭✭

It would probably be easiest to put this in a separate column. If you don't mind doing that, there's a "Weekday" function for this exact purpose! The only unfortunate thing is that Weekday([Date Column]) only returns a number (e.g. "1" for "Sunday"), and not the name of the day itself. If you want to see the name of the day itself, you could write a big nested IF-statement like this:

=IF(WEEKDAY([Date Column]1) = 1, "Sunday",

IF(WEEKDAY([Date Column]1) = 2, "Monday",

IF(WEEKDAY([Date Column]1) = 3, "Tuesday",

IF(WEEKDAY([Date Column]1) = 4, "Wednesday",

IF(WEEKDAY([Date Column]1) = 5, "Thursday",

IF(WEEKDAY([Date Column]1) = 6, "Friday",

IF(WEEKDAY([Date Column]1) = 7, "Saturday", "")))))))

I hope that helps!

• Hi again Greg!

As with my other post that you replied to, I'm trying to keep columns to a minimum. Shame you can't just change the date formatting as easily as in Excel!

Thanks for your help anyway,

Becky

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Here it is with the new LOOKUP function:

The formula is:

=LOOKUP(WEEKDAY(Date10), $[Table 1]$1:$[Table 2]$8, 2)

for row 10

Craig

Weekday_lookup.jpg

This discussion has been closed.