Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Allocated Time % versus Duration

Options
1235»

Comments

• Ezra
    Ezra ✭✭✭
    Options

Sadly, still struggling with this issue.

I understand the desire for an effort percentage of the duration, but I know that our project managers don't think that way.

I'm forced to go the way of adding a formula which generates a percentage of an "Hours of Effort" column and the duration. then we can just adjust the percentage in the Allocation column. Followed by conditional formats to highlight any difference greater than 0.001 or less than -0.001

• Gary Straub
    Options

Allow me to apologize for the frustration outlined below.  I have been lucky enough to work with two companies who have enterprise licenses. There are many things that I can do with the SmartSheet and it flexible features.   BUT.....

It has been 4 years since the first post in this thread. FOUR YEARS.  There doesn't seem to have been any movement to address this fundamental problem in the application. Actually I would go as far to say that the addition of the feature allowing multiple resource assignments, has made the issue far worse.  Without significant workarounds to a sheet, its impossible to manage a project much larger than planning a company pizza party with any degree of accuracy.

There seems to be a significant separation between the team that provides excellent content on project management and the product development team.  I am sure that there are complexities in developing a resource reporting tool verses a ppm tool but surely in time from the first posting in this thread, the team could have released a separate workflow to adequately support the project managers that enjoy the tool.  Is there an understanding by the SmartSheet team that this product does not give reliable data to manage schedule or cost without an excessive amount of manual work?

Finally, adding a note 3 years later telling the SmartSheet community to post an enhancement request is insulting and just proves that the product development team doesn't actually pay any attention to the community forums.  

AND --- thank you to the many users (and SS staff) who have posted their workarounds, formulas and general recommendations.  They have helped me deal with many issues over the past few years.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Gary,

Did you see that Smartsheet recently acquired the company 10,000ft? I think we will see significant changes and features added from them and hopefully, we will already see something at this years Engage conference.

Speaking more broadly, with the integration of 10,000ft, Smartsheet customers will benefit from the ability to plan and allocate resources across their projects, optimize resource allocation by function or skill set, track time against forecast, and gain real-time portfolio level visibility into the status of budgets and deliverables.

I can't wait!

More info: 

https://www.10000ft.com/

https://www.smartsheet.com/blog/smartsheet-and-10000ft%E2%93%87-enhancing-resource-management-capabilities

Hope that this lessens the frustration!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I appreciate your optimism Andrée.

I do not share it.

Have you seen anything tangible from their acquisitions of January 2018?

Acquisitions are HARD. 

https://www.inc.com/melissa-schilling/the-top-4-reasons-most-acquisitions-fail.html

Craig

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Craig—

I believe you're referring to our acquisition of converse.ai

Currently, converse.ai is the framework of our chat integrations (slack, workplace, teams, hangouts)

We've been able to streamline our chat integration development process and, in my opinion as a user, make the integrations easier to install and work with.

We also have plans in store for converse in the future. wink 

• Robin Sherwood
    Options

Gary,

Andrée is correct. This is exactly why we purchased 10,000ft. This acquisition was driven primarily by feedback in the enhancement request form (which we do in fact monitor) as well as conversations with customer success managers. While I definitely agree with J Craig's statement that "integrations are hard" the converse.ai tool is already the technology base for our messaging integrations. The two acquisitions we have made this year (Slope and 10,000ft) were both great local companies and both teams are now a part of the core Smartsheet team sitting in our Bellevue headquarters. 10,000ft will continue to be sold as a separate product but we are already talking to customers about how a detailed integration should work. 

Perhaps you could describe your particular workflow? 

Cheers,

Robin

• tim.palmer72816
    Options

Given the criticality of this functionality and Smartsheet's total lack of response to the need, I am cancelling my company's subscription today and moving to a mor responsive software.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Tim,

I'd recommend to wait and see what the Engage Conference brings.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

This discussion has been closed.