COUNTIF dates within the next year.

Options
linda@uidp
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hi There! 

I'm new to formulas and have tried lots of different ways to solve this, and still haven't managed, so any assistance would be appreciated. I want to count each Event Type which starts within the next 365 days. 

I have managed to count the total number of each Event Type in the column by using:

=COUNTIF([Event Type]:[Event Type], "Networking Reception")

=COUNTIF([Event Type]:[Event Type], "LIstening Session")

but I need to narrow this number down to only those starting within the next year as indicated in the date column. 

I've tried using COUNTIF with the TODAY function, but I'm clearly doing something wrong as I keep getting the dreaded #UNPARSABLE result. 

A screenshot is attached for reference.

Please help! 

Best, 

Linda

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 2.03.44 PM.png

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Linda,

Try something like this.

=COUNTIFS([Event Type]:[Event Type]; "Networking Reception"; Date:Date; >=TODAY(); Date:Date; <=TODAY(365))

The same version but with the below changes for your and others convenience.

=COUNTIFS([Event Type]:[Event Type], "Networking Reception", Date:Date, >=TODAY(), Date:Date, <=TODAY(365))

Depending on your country you’ll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Did it work?

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• linda@uidp
    edited 10/06/19
    Options

Hi Andrée, 

It's still not working. Could there be something wrong in my sheet set up? I'm using a date column for the start date, and I have parent rows for each year. 

Any futher help would be much appreciate. 

Best, 

Linda

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 9.30.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 9.37.09 AM.png

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Andree's solution should work for you. The difference is with the function itself.

COUNTIF only allows one set of range/criteria whereas COUNTIFS (with the "S" on the end) allows multiple sets.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!