Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

history problem

Options
Bill Brandt
Bill Brandt ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I have a material tracking log that I have been keeping track of dates for various items. It is really important that I be able to track who and when items have been changed. I recently created a copy of the sheet and reset a bunch of the items in the orginal version. When I go into the old copied version none of the items have any history other than the day I created the sheet. I have no lost all my history data. Why isn't history moved?

Bill

Comments

• Jim Hook
    Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bill, history seems to be a function related to each individual sheet so copying a sheet makes it a new sheet with no history. Likewise, copying a row to another sheet doesn't copy cell history. When you save as new on a sheet you can bring several things across in the  Advanced Options but cell history is not one of them. I have the opposite issue in that I use the same rows and over and over again as projects come and go so the cell history can get very long. I checked with Support and they said there is no limit on the size of history but the initial history display only shows a limited number of entries.

• Bill Brandt
    Bill Brandt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I wish I had known that before I moved my info and lost all my collected data. Seems that backups don't have history info either. This is precisly my complaint about Smartsheets not circling back and revisiting existing functionality. The tout the history function but you are cobbled into a very narrow use of it. Why is history not moved? everthing else can be? and what about other uses of history? highlighting changes by a particular user or being able to step back through time to see the changes? (sorry been a long day and losing this info with no way to retrieve it pretty much ruined it)

• Steve Johnson
    Steve Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bill: I'm surprised that the history is not included in the backups.  Sorry you had to have this happen for us all to learn about that risk.

This discussion has been closed.