ISBLANK formula within IF formula

2»

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The issue is with this part of the formula:

If Date82 is a date, then it runs the following...

IF(TODAY() > Date82, "Operational",

IF(TODAY() > Date82 - 60, "Pre-Operational"))

You hadn't specified any other options for if Date82 was a date. This can very easily be corrected though. I just need to know exactly what you want the output to be for these situations.

Basically, if Date82 is less than 60 days away, it is "Pre-Operational". If Date82 is in the past, it is "Operational" is what we currently have. We could easily specify that if Date82 is a date but it is more than 60 days away to make it "Under Construction". I just need to know if that's all you want for Dates82 being a date or if you have other criteria that needs to be taken into account.

• M. David
    M. David ✭✭✭✭✭

If Date82 is less than 60 days away = "Pre-Operational"

If Date82 is in the past = "Operational"

If Date82 is a date but more than 60 days away = "Under Construction"

If Date82 is blank = Go to the next evaluation where it looks to see if Date72 is in the past.

If Date72 is in the past = "Under Construction"

If Date72 is in the future = "In Development"

If Date72 is blank = "In Development"

Does this help? I think I outlined every possibility. I know you've spent way more time on this than you wanted to, and I really appreciate the help. 

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No worries. Here's something that covers everything listed above.

=IF(ISDATE(Date82), IF(TODAY() < Date82 - 60, "Under Construction", IF(TODAY() > Date82, "Operational", "Pre-Operational")), IF(ISDATE(Date72), IF(TODAY() >= Date72, "Under Construction", "In Development")))

• M. David
    M. David ✭✭✭✭✭

I've just been entering this formula into my project files and the only issue I see is that when Date72 is blank, it returns a blank value. If Date72 has a date in the future, then it puts "In Development". If Date72 has a date and is in the past, it puts "Under Construction." It's only when it is blank, that it doesn't return the correct value. Thanks.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

=IF(ISDATE(Date82), IF(TODAY() < Date82 - 60, "Under Construction", IF(TODAY() > Date82, "Operational", "Pre-Operational")), IF(ISDATE(Date72), IF(TODAY() >= Date72, "Under Construction", "In Development"), "In Development"))

Here you go.

• M. David
    M. David ✭✭✭✭✭

This worked with all options verified. Thanks again for your help with this. It is much appreciated.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!