Formatting all Indented rows

Scott Rae
Scott Rae ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi,

Is there a way that I can change the colour of all cells in Indented rows rather than going thought them all one-by-one?

Cheers

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Scott,

Yes!

I use this one all the time in my client solutions. I name the column Level and use that to simplify conditional formatting and more.

Try something like this.

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row)) > 0; COUNT(ANCESTORS()) + 1)

The same version but with the below changes for your and others convenience.

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row)) > 0, COUNT(ANCESTORS()) + 1)

Depending on your country you’ll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Did it work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andree,

I searched for formatting indented rows and this thread came up.

I hate to trouble you on this. I am lost on your solution you gave Scott. Is column level a unique column, or you talking the primary column? Then the formula you show... is that going in as a custom criteria? Maybe if you did a couple screenshots it would help.

Thank you kindly.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Duane J. Hoffbauer You would create a separate column and insert the formula into every row making sure to change the column references within the formula to match a column name that you have in your sheet.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Duane J. Hoffbauer

I'm always happy to help!

I saw that Paul answered already!

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi,

I'm using this feature for formatting on indented rows and it worked beautifully when you paste the formula to existing cells. Is there a way to convert this to a column formula so that when new rows are added the formula autopopulates for that row? Currently, if a new row is added I would have to insert the formula and when I attempt to convert it to a column formula I get a syntax error because it breaks the rules of column formulas.

Thanks in advance for the help!

• CJ Ponce
    CJ Ponce ✭✭
    edited 11/07/23

I tried (Expand all ) Select all the rows in any particular section, then change your background copy to the color you would like the child rows to be. Then (Collapse All) Select all rows in that section again, and then change to the color that you would like for the parent row to be. This worked for a sheet that already had over 300 rows.