Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Sheet default to card view

Chris Winfield
Chris Winfield ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help. Our organisation is starting to really like to card view for team task management and small project status tracking, but I have a bit of an issue in that I can't seem to make sheets defaul to card view. 

I or others can work on sheets in card view, save and close it, but next time it is opened it goes to grid view. This isn't such a big deal for "power users" but I'm working really hard to make this a good solution for people who aren't so IT literate, and this does confuse some people.

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 10/18/16

Hello Chris—the typical behavior exhibited is that your view is initally set to the view of the collaborator that initially shared the sheet with you. In other words, if I set my sheet to card view and save, then share it to you, it should open up to card view for you.

If you change your view of the sheet to grid view, then save again, the next time you open, it will be in grid view. 

Contact Support@Smartsheet.com if this isn't the behavior you're seeing.

• Hi, 

I am encountering the same issue. I shared a sheet and I have put the direct link to that sheet in a rolling minutes document, so that people can directly open the right task sheet when in a meeting. When I close the Smartsheet browser tab in Chrome, without closing the specific sheet in Smartsheet first, it will open in the view I had last open, Card View. But when I close the specific sheet in Smartsheet first, and then close the browser tab in Chrome, the link will direct to the Grid view. How can I change this? I would be great if you can have sheet settings where you can change default view. 

Cheers, Laura

• Hi Laura—we don't have a way to set a default view for a sheet such that the sheet will always open to regardless of the previous view.

As with my comment above, the sheet will open to the view it was last saved in. If you viewed the sheet in grid view, then closed the tab, the sheet is likely automatically saving, and will open up for you in grid view next time.

• Yeah, and that didn't happen. I closed it in Card View and it opened in Grid View. 

• Hi Laura,

I'd recommend reaching out to Support@Smartsheet.com to ensure that this is behaving as expected and troubleshoot with you if this isn't expected behavior.

Typically, your sheet should be on the last view that you had it on when you last saved it, but our Support team will confirm this.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.