Filter for rows that are due to day and in the past

DS@DBL
DS@DBL ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I want to be able to filter a sheet to show the rows that are due to today and any that are overdue, i.e. in the past. i have a column called due date and another called status which is either started or complete.

the filter i have on is 'status = started' and 'due date = today' . however i would want to filter on 'due date = in the past' as well so that i can see tasks that are open which are due today or overdue. using 'at least one condition' does not work for this. any thoughts?

Tags:

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

It's not possible to filter with both AND & OR conditions.

Three workarounds.

1. A so-called helper column like a check-box with a formula looking at the due date and the status.
    2. Using a report instead of a filter
    3. Two different filters

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you'd like to create a helper column for your filter you can create a new text/number column called Filter and then add this formula... 

=IF(AND(Status@row <> "Complete", [due date]@row <= Today()), 1, 0)

Then you can in your Filter or Report choose where the Filter column = 1. 

Let us know if that works for you? 

• I was looking for a similar solution and I crafted a custom formula for my "Status" column as shown below. The main assumptions I'm using are that Status is "Not Started" if no one has been assigned or a Due Date has not been defined. When Due Date and Assigned To are filled in, the Status changes to "In Progress."

If the Done box is checked, Status changes to "Complete"

If the Due Date is less than TODAY, Status changes to "Overdue"

If the Due Date is within 30 days of TODAY, Status changes to "Due This Month"

Here's the formula:

=IF(Done@row = 1, "Complete", IF(AND([Due Date]@row <> "", [Due Date]@row < TODAY(), [Assigned To]@row <> ""), "Overdue", IF(AND([Due Date]@row <> "", [Due Date]@row < TODAY(30), [Assigned To]@row <> ""), "Due This Month", IF(AND([Due Date]@row <> "", [Assigned To]@row <> ""), "In Progress", "Not Started"))))

And here's the filter to show tasks that are Overdue and Due This Month (30-day look-ahead):