About Request Update in Workflow Automation

Ye
Ye
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I tried to use checkbox to activate the Workflow (when Check-box was ticked, the update request would be sent). Is there any way to cancel the Check-box (eliminate the tick) after the update request was completed.

Thanks! 

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 4.01.51 PM.png

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Ye,

How would you want to use it? What's the use case?

I might have a solution.

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ye
    Ye

Thank you for the reply.

I want to use it to update item information.

I plan to make a mark in the row that need being updated with Check box (change to Checked), and sending update request to contacts, but I am looking for some ways that can change the check box to unchecked after the upgrade request was completed.

Or can we solve it in other ways?

Thank you very much! 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

Will it always be the same field(s) that needs to be updated.

Are they empty before the request?

Will anything change on the row after the request is sent?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ye
    Ye

It is always the same field, but different rows for different suppliers.

It is an item list. Sometime, I need supplier to update the item information, so I would send update requests to different suppliers. Check-box can help me to know which one should be updated, or I can use other symbol.

My thinking is that when I clicked the check box (Change to checked) or symbol, the update requests would be sent to suppliers. When suppliers filled out the request form (update request was completed), the check box or symbol will change back.

I don't know if it works.

Thanks!  

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 12.43.35 PM.png

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

I think we could make it work with the third-party service, Zapier, or with so-called helper columns.

We would either need to have a specific column that always gets updated but only through an update request or check all columns that could be updated with a formula and use that to reset the checkbox column.

Would that work? Is Zapier an option?

• Ye
    Ye

Excuse my interrupting you!

Did you mind teach me how to write the formula? Such as when a column was changed, the checkbox would be reset. Or when the update request was completed, the checkbox would be reset. 

I tried to find information on the internet, but no tutorials were found.

Thank you very much!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Can you share the sheet(s) and I'd be happy to take a look? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)